Professionalism and iPad Use
Navigating the clinical setting with an electronic device can be challenging, but they are increasingly accepted as a means to provide excellent patient care. Below are suggestions to maintain professionalism.
- Use device with HIPAA policies in mind
- NEVER store patient information (written notes, videos, or recordings), as this is prohibited and a violation of HIPAA
- Do NOT screenshot anything that has patient information.
iPad usage with patients
- Inform the patient that you are using the iPad to learn and provide good medical care.
- Allow patient engagement, when appropriate. Share your screen with them. It can be a great tool to share information.
- Position device so that your line of sight is always with patient.
- Avoid using iPad for unrelated materials in the presence of patients.
- Usage is an art, practice using the iPad with patient centered care in mind.