The UNC MD-PhD program is proud to offer PhD degrees from a wide variety of departments. Below is a list of graduate departments available to our students. We are supportive of any PhD program choice as long as the student can make a convincing case for how that program is significantly relevant to medical science and both the MD-PhD Program and the graduate department have agreed that they can fully support the student in their chosen endeavor.
Our students typically complete their PhD in 3 – 5 years.
School of Medicine
- Biochemistry and Biophysics*
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology*
- Biomedical Engineering (Joint Program with North Carolina State University)
- Cell Biology and Physiology*
- Microbiology and Immunology*
- Pathology and Laboratory Medicine*
- Curriculum in Toxicology*
- Curriculum in Neurobiology*
- Curriculum in Genetics and Molecular Biology*
School of Public Health
- Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Health Policy and Administration
- Maternal and Child Health
- Nutritional Biochemistry*
- Nutritional Epidemiology*
School of Pharmacy
College of Arts and Sciences
*Indicates participation in the BBSP program
Check out how the UNC MD-PhD Program bridges the gap between the MD and PhD portions of our students’ training.