Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades, awards and appointments, July 1 – July 31, 2020.
- Crystal Wiley Cené, MD, MPH, has been named UNC Health System Executive Director For Health Equity.
- Alena Markman, MS, MD, PhD, Erin Steinbach, MD, PhD, and Tessa Andermann, MD, MPH, were inducted into the prestigious physician-scientist training program.
- Nicholas Shaheen, MD, MPH, was named co-PI of NC TraCS.
- John Kizer, MD, was recognized for patient care in a Carolina Care Highlight.
- Ashley Henderson, MD, was also recognized in this Carolina Care Highlight.
- Gene Bozymski, MD, has received the Samuel Weiss Award from the American College of Gastroenterology.
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades, awards and appointments, June 1 – June 30, 2020.
- John P. Vavalle, MD has been promoted to associate professor with tenure.
- Richard Loeser, Jr., MD, was named the Joseph P. Archie, Jr. Eminent Professor of Medicine.
- Leigh Callahan, PhD, was voted president-elect of the US Bone and Joint Initiative.
- The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) has invited Stephan Moll, MD, to present “The Potential of Telepresence to Transform Future Space Exploration Operations” at the AIAA meeting in November.
- Robert Hagan, MD, PhD, has received a junior investigator award from the ATS’s Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology for “Myeloid TBK1 Signaling Contributes to the Immune Response to Influenza.”
- Onyinye Iweala, MD, PhD, has been appointed director of diversity, equity, and inclusion for the division of rheumatology, allergy and immunology.
- Hyman Muss, MD, received the ASCO’s Allen S. Lichter Visionary Leader Award for improving cancer care in older adults.
- The UNC Allergy and Immunology Clinic was selected to become an FCN Discovery Center of Distinction. As lead principal investigator, Edwin Kim, MD, MS, will help develop critical infrastructure necessary to deliver optimal clinical care to patients with food allergy and leadership in the community.
- The Office of Global Health Education recently announced the 4th cohort of Global Health Scholars, and two fellows are from the department of medicine. Jennifer Morgan, MD (Oncology), and Min Kim, MD (Infectious Diseases), will join the two-year, multi-disciplinary program with funding to support their interests in global health.
- The UNC Internal Medicine Residency Program held the annual resident awards ceremony June 22, celebrating those who engender the shared and treasured spirit of the UNC Department of Medicine.
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades, awards and appointments, May 1 – May 31, 2020.
- William Fischer, MD, and Helen Lazear, PhD, earned Jefferson-Pilot Fellowships for infectious diseases research and clinical care.
- Myron Cohen, MD, is a new inductee into the Order of the Golden Fleece, UNC’s oldest and most prestigious honor society.
- Joshua Niznik, PharmD, PhD, has been named a 2020-2021 Junior Investigator Intensive Awardee by the US Deprescribing Research Network.
- The UNC School of Medicine Academy of Educators welcomes 24 new members from the Department of Medicine.
- Anthony S. Fauci, MD, commended Adaora Adimora, MD, MPH, for contributing to treatment guidelines for COVID-19 in people with HIV/AIDS. In his letter, he expressed gratitude for her outstanding work in caring for patients and for all the additional ways she is helping to respond to the pandemic during this most extraordinary time.
- Kiri Bagley, MD, MPH, has been chosen for a fellowship with AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellowships to train with Department of Health and Human Services.
- Brian Diekman, PhD, TARC, and 2019 Medical Student in Aging Research (MSTAR) student Kayla Darris, have been awarded the American Geriatrics Society’s 2020 Best Abstract Award for “The effect of long-term systemic treatment with the senolytics dastinib and quercetin on age-related osteoarthritis.”
- Shana Ratner, MD, expressed her appreciation for the ACLGIM Leadership Award in a recorded video here.
- Christian Agosto-Burgos, working in the UNC Kidney Center Lab of Ronald Falk, MD, has received the 2020 Boka W. Hadzija Award, a UNC Chancellor’s Award.
- David Weber, MD, MPH, was commended by Fort Bragg’s US Army Lieutenant General Michael Kurilla for his “leadership and critical partnership with Fort Bragg and Womack Army Medical Center.” William Roper also praised Weber for strong leadership that helped the UNC System craft a strategic response to the pandemic.
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades, awards and appointments, April 1 – April 30, 2020.
- Patricia Rivera, MD, was voted new secretary-treasurer of the American Thoracic Society. She will serve as president in 2023.
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades, awards and appointments, February 15-March 31, 2020.
- Sue Kirkman, MD, received the American Diabetes Association’s 2020 Outstanding Physician-Clinician in Diabetes Award, recognizing her outstanding achievements in improving diabetes clinical practice. Read more.
- Mildred Kwan, MD, PhD, Amy Durr, MSN, RN, FNP-BC, Subhashini Sellers, MD, MSCR, Clare Mock, MD, CPPS, and Evan Raff, MD, have been named Institute For Healthcare Quality Improvement Scholars. Read more.
- Charles Jennette, MD, received the Robert H. Heptinstall Lifetime Achievement Award from the Renal Pathology Society. More here.
- Claire Larson, MD, was recognized in this Carolina Care Highlight.
- Lindsey Wilson, MD, MPH, FACP, is the new president-elect for the UNC Academy of Educators.
- Patricia Rivera, MD, was nominated for the new secretary treasurer of American Thoracic Society.
Congratulations to department faculty and fellows who received the following accolades and awards, January 15-February 14, 2020.
- J. Alex Duncan, MD, PhD, has been elected to the American Society for Clinical Investigation and will be inducted in April.
- The National Cancer Institute has named Satish Gopal, MD, MPH, director of the NCI Center for Global Health. Read more.
- Outpatient team members in the Infectious Diseases Clinic received the UNC Medical Center Quality and Safety Award. Read more.
- Onyinye Iweala, MD, PhD, was recognized in the Carolina Care Highlight. Read more.
- Shana Ratner, MD, FACP, will receive the 2020 Association of Chiefs and Leaders of General Medicine Leadership Award. Read more.
- R. Balfour Sartor, MD, received the American Gastroenterological Association‘s Distinguished Achievement Award in Basic Science. The award will be presented during Digestive Disease Week 2020, May 1-5, 2020, in Chicago, Illinois. Read more.
- UNC School of Medicine alumnus Dr. William Nebel honored Amy Shaheen, MD, by establishing the Amy Shaheen, MD, Fund for Student Research and Quality Improvement. Read more.
Congratulations to department faculty and fellows who received the following accolades and awards, December 15, 2019-January 15, 2020.
- Jason Akulian, MD, MPH, received the Presidential Citation Award from the Association of Interventional Pulmonary Program Directors.
- Jan Busby-Whitehead, MD, has been invited to serve on the Governor’s Advisory Council on Aging. The 33-member Council advises the Governor and NC’s Department of Health and Human Services on programs to promote public understanding of aging issues and makes recommendations on improving services for older adults.
- Lisa A. Carey, MD, FASCO, has been elected to the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Board of Directors. Read more.
- Luis Malpica Castillo, MD, received an American Society of Hematology Achievement Award for his abstract/oral presentation, “Adherence to Infectious Disease Screening and Immunization Guidelines When Treating Non-Malignant Immune-Mediated Hematologic Disorders.”
- The Triangle Business Journal Health Care Heroes Award for “Community Impact” will be awarded to the Center for Aging and Health’s Dementia Friendly Hospital Initiative and UNC Health Care. The award recognizes the dementia friendly training program’s impact at the pilot site, UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus, and its expansion to other UNC Health Care hospitals: Chatham Hospital UNC Health Care, NC Memorial Hospital, Pardee UNC Health Care, and Wayne UNC Health Care.
- Emily Ciccone, MD, MHS, received one of the 2019 Burroughs Wellcome Fund/ASTMH Postdoctoral Fellowship in Tropical Infectious Diseases awards. Read more.
- Catherine Coombs, MD, MS, received the Prostate Cancer Foundation’s Young Investigator Award.
- Jonathan Juliano, MD, MSPH, has been appointed to the American Society for Clinical Investigation’s Institutional Representatives Program for the next five years. Read more.
- Shana Ratner, MD, FACP, will receive the Association of Chiefs & Leaders of General Internal Medicine leadership award.
- Joseph S. Rossi, MD, MSCI, FACC, FSCAI, and George Stouffer, MD, were co-authors on a study led by Eshelman School of Pharmacy doctoral student Jesse Martin which was recognized as one of the top 10 advances in genomic medicine in 2019. Read more.
- Gary Winzelberg, MD, has been elected as National Chair Elect of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Directors Special Interest Group.
December 16, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, November 15-December 15, 2019.
- Edward L. Barnes, MD, MPH, had a posted designated as Presidential Poster at the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) annual meeting. Read more.
- Darren DeWalt, MD, MPH, was featured in the Carolina Care Highlight. Read more.
- Jenny Flythe, MD, MPH, has been elected to serve on the executive committee for Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). Read more.
- Richard Loeser, MD, received Rheumatology Research Foundation’s “Memorial Lectureship Award,” at the 2019 Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology. Read more.
- Joshua Niznik, PharmD, PhD, was selected for the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) Junior Reviewer Program. Dr. Niznik is one of 18 junior faculty selected for the 2-year program from a highly competitive pool of peers engaged in aging research.
- Chad Pecot, MD, was named a Yang Family Biomedical Scholar. Read more.
November 16, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, October 15-November 15, 2019.
- Arlene E. Chung, MD, MHA, MMCi, will be inducted into the second cohort of Fellows of the American Medical Informatics Association (FAMIA). Read more.
- Erin Finn, MD, received the 2019 Cefalo House Office Award. Read more.
- Barbara LeVarge, MD, was featured in UNC’s Carolina Care Highlight. Read more.
- Patricia Rivera, MD, has been selected to the ABIM Pulmonary Exam Committee, beginning in the fall of 2020.
- Sidney Smith, MD, received an Outstanding Contributions award during the 30th Anniversary of the Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Dr. Smith also received a 2019 Educator Award from the American College of Chest Physicians.
October 16, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, September 1 – October 15, 2019.
- Adaora Adimora, MD, MPH, has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine. Read more.
- Patricia Rivera, MD, will receive the 2019 Educator Award from the American College of Chest Physicians. Read more.
- Jamie Waldron, MD, third-year fellow, received the Best Fellow Presentation award at the Southeastern Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society’s (SEAAIS) annual meeting. Read more.
September 10, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, July 1 – September 1, 2019.
- Ria Dancel, MD received the 2019 Pilot Innovation Award. Read more.
- Fellow Daniel Duddleston, MD received the Carolina Care Resident of the Year award and was honored at a ceremony on Tuesday, September 10 at Kenan Stadium.
- Expertscape recognized Ron Falk, MD and Nigel Mackman, PhD as world experts. Read more
- Keisha Gibson, MD, MPH received Nephrology’s Maestro Award. Read more
- Sid Smith, MD received the World Heart Federation’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Read more.