Congratulations to department faculty and fellows who received the following accolades and awards, January 15-February 14.
- Onyinye Iweala, MD, PhD, was recognized in the Carolina Care Highlight. Read more.
- Shana Ratner, MD, FACP, will receive the 2020 Association of Chiefs and Leaders of General Medicine Leadership Award. Read more.
- Keia Sanderson, MD, was recognized as a featured researcher and pediatric nephrologist by Women in Nephrology.
- R. Balfour Sartor, MD, received the American Gastroenterological Association‘s Distinguished Achievement Award in Basic Science. The award will be presented during Digestive Disease Week 2020, May 1-5, 2020, in Chicago, Illinois. Read more.
- UNC School of Medicine alumnus Dr. William Nebel honored Amy Shaheen, MD, by establishing the Amy Shaheen, MD, Fund for Student Research and Quality Improvement. Read more.
Congratulations to department faculty and fellows who received the following accolades and awards, December 15-January 15.
- Jason Akulian, MD, MPH, received the Presidential Citation Award from the Association of Interventional Pulmonary Program Directors.
- Jan Busby-Whitehead, MD, has been invited to serve on the Governor’s Advisory Council on Aging. The 33-member Council advises the Governor and NC’s Department of Health and Human Services on programs to promote public understanding of aging issues and makes recommendations on improving services for older adults.
- Lisa A. Carey, MD, FASCO, has been elected to the American Society of Clinical Oncology’s Board of Directors. Read more.
- Luis Malpica Castillo, MD, received an American Society of Hematology Achievement Award for his abstract/oral presentation, “Adherence to Infectious Disease Screening and Immunization Guidelines When Treating Non-Malignant Immune-Mediated Hematologic Disorders.”
- The Triangle Business Journal Health Care Heroes Award for “Community Impact” will be awarded to the Center for Aging and Health’s Dementia Friendly Hospital Initiative and UNC Health Care. The award recognizes the dementia friendly training program’s impact at the pilot site, UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus, and its expansion to other UNC Health Care hospitals: Chatham Hospital UNC Health Care, NC Memorial Hospital, Pardee UNC Health Care, and Wayne UNC Health Care.
- Emily Ciccone, MD, MHS, received one of the 2019 Burroughs Wellcome Fund/ASTMH Postdoctoral Fellowship in Tropical Infectious Diseases awards. Read more.
- Catherine Coombs, MD, MS, received the Prostate Cancer Foundation’s Young Investigator Award.
- Jonathan Juliano, MD, MSPH, has been appointed to the American Society for Clinical Investigation’s Institutional Representatives Program for the next five years. Read more.
- Shana Ratner, MD, FACP, will receive the Association of Chiefs & Leaders of General Internal Medicine leadership award.
- Joseph S. Rossi, MD, MSCI, FACC, FSCAI, and George Stouffer, MD, were co-authors on a study led by Eshelman School of Pharmacy doctoral student Jesse Martin which was recognized as one of the top 10 advances in genomic medicine in 2019. Read more.
- Gary Winzelberg, MD, has been elected as National Chair Elect of the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship Directors Special Interest Group.
December 16, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, November 15-December 15.
- Edward L. Barnes, MD, MPH, had a posted designated as Presidential Poster at the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) annual meeting. Read more.
- Darren DeWalt, MD, MPH, was featured in the Carolina Care Highlight. Read more.
- Jenny Flythe, MD, MPH, has been elected to serve on the executive committee for Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). Read more.
- Richard Loeser, MD, received Rheumatology Research Foundation’s “Memorial Lectureship Award,” at the 2019 Meeting of the American College of Rheumatology. Read more.
- Joshua Niznik, PharmD, PhD, was selected for the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) Junior Reviewer Program. Dr. Niznik is one of 18 junior faculty selected for the 2-year program from a highly competitive pool of peers engaged in aging research.
- Chad Pecot, MD, was named a Yang Family Biomedical Scholar. Read more.
November 16, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, October 15-November 15.
- Arlene E. Chung, MD, MHA, MMCi, will be inducted into the second cohort of Fellows of the American Medical Informatics Association (FAMIA). Read more.
- Erin Finn, MD, received the 2019 Cefalo House Office Award. Read more.
- Barbara LeVarge, MD, was featured in UNC’s Carolina Care Highlight. Read more.
- Patricia Rivera, MD, has been selected to the ABIM Pulmonary Exam Committee, beginning in the fall of 2020.
- Sidney Smith, MD, received an Outstanding Contributions award during the 30th Anniversary of the Great Wall International Congress of Cardiology. Dr. Smith also received a 2019 Educator Award from the American College of Chest Physicians.
October 16, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, September 1 – October 15.
- Adaora Adimora, MD, MPH, has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine. Read more.
- Patricia Rivera, MD, will receive the 2019 Educator Award from the American College of Chest Physicians. Read more.
- Jamie Waldron, MD, third-year fellow, received the Best Fellow Presentation award at the Southeastern Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Society’s (SEAAIS) annual meeting. Read more.
September 10, 2019
Congratulations to department faculty who received the following accolades and awards, July 1 – September 1.
- Ria Dancel, MD received the 2019 Pilot Innovation Award. Read more.
- Fellow Daniel Duddleston, MD received the Carolina Care Resident of the Year award and was honored at a ceremony on Tuesday, September 10 at Kenan Stadium.
- Expertscape recognized Ron Falk, MD and Nigel Mackman, PhD as world experts. Read more
- Keisha Gibson, MD, MPH received Nephrology’s Maestro Award. Read more
- Sid Smith, MD received the World Heart Federation’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Read more.