Chronic Kidney Disease; Cardiovascular Disease, Dialysis, Epidemiology, Anemia Management
Education and Experience
BS Cum Laude: Duke University, 1989; MD: Emory University School of Medicine, 1993; Intern: University of North Carolina, 1993-4;Resident: University of North Carolina, 1994-6; MPH: University of North Carolina, 2000; Nephrology Fellow: University of North Carolina, 1998-2000; Research Assistant Professor: University of North Carolina, 2000-2002; Medical Director: Da Vita Dialysis Clinic – Burlington, 2001-2012; Assistant Professor of Medicine: University of North Carolina, 2002-2009; Associate Professor of Medicine: University of North Carolina, 2009-2018; Professor of Medicine: 2018-present.
Clinical and Research Interests
My clinical practice and research interests have been driven by a goal to improve the care of patients with chronic kidney disease, especially those individuals on dialysis. I have worked with teams to conduct research in dialysis settings to optimize iron therapy, survey pain, and understand the impact of periodontal disease. I also enjoy engaging with medical students, residents, and fellows about nephrology.
- Hardy ST, Zeng D, Kshirsagar AV, Viera AJ, Avery CL, Heiss G. Primary prevention of chronic kidney disease through population-based strategies for blood pressure control: the ARIC study. J Clin Hypertens, 20:1018-1026, 2018
- Li X, Kshirsagar AV. Rest easy with intravenous iron? High dose IV iron safety. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 13:363-365, 2018
- Mu Y, Chin AI, Kshirsagar AV, Zhang Y, Bang H. Regional and temporal variation in comorbidity among US dialysis patients: a longitudinal study of medicare claims data. Inquiry 55:46958018771163doi: 10.1177/0046958018771163, 2018
- Dehmer EW, Phadnis MA, Gunderson EP, Lewis CE, Bibbins-Domingo K, Engel SM, Jonsson Funk M, Kramer H, Kshirsagar AV, Heiss G. Association between gestational diabetes and incident maternal ckd: the coronary artery risk development in young adults (CARDIA) study.Am J Kidney Dis 71:112-122, 2018
- Brookhart MA, Reams D, Dluzniewski PJ, Kshirsagar A, Walsh L, Bradbury BD. Estimating the effect of preventable treatment discontinuation on health outcomes. Epidemiology 29:134-141, 2018
- Song MK, Unruh ML, Platinga LC, Matunga A, Lea J, Jhamb M, Kshirsagar AV, Ward SE. SPIRIT: A phase III pragmatic trial of advance care planning intervention in ESRD. Contemp Clin Trial, 64:188-194, 2018
- Kshirsagar AV, Mu Y, Manickam RN, Flythe JE, Bang H. Area level poverty, race/ethnicity, and dialysis star ratings. PLoS One,12(10):e0186651, 2017
- Flythe JE, Hilbert J, Kshirsagar AV, Gilet CA. Psychosocial factors and 30-day hospital readmission among individuals receiving maintenance dialysis: a prospective study. Am J Nephrol 45: 400-408,2017