UNC Geriatrics Clinic Provider: No
UNC Hospitals Provider: Yes UNC Hillsborough Geriatric Inpatient Hospital Service
2005 – 2006 Teaching Scholars Program. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2000 – 2001 Fellowship: Geriatric Medicine. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
1999 – 2001 Fellowship: Internal Medicine. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
1997 – 1998 Chief Resident: Internal Medicine Residency. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
1994 – 1997 Residency: Internal Medicine. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
1990 – 1994 MD: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
1986 – 1990 BS: in Biology. Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina
2014 – present Program Director, Internal Medicine Residency. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2010 – present Associate Professor, Division of Geriatric Medicine. School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2008 – 2014 Program Director, Geriatric Medicine Fellowship, Division of Geriatric Medicine. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2004 – 2010 Assistant Professor, Division of Geriatric Medicine (founding faculty member). University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2001 – 2004 Assistant Professor, Division of General Medicine. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
1998 – 2001 Clinical Assistant Professor, AHEC Department of Internal Medicine. WakeMed Hospital, Raleigh, NC
Dr. Bynum’s research interests include resident & medical student education, geriatric education, curriculum development, & elder mistreatment.
- Royal KD, Hedgpeth MW, Bynum DL, Colford C. December 2015. How much content knowledge do graduating medical students retain from their pre-clinical and clinical courses? Medical Science Educator.
- Bynum DL, Wilson L, Ong T, Callahan KE, Dalton T, Ohuabunwa U September 2015. Meeting AGS competencies: Are residents meeting expectations for quality care of older adults? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS) 63 (9): 1918-1923.
- Bynum DL, Colford C, Royal K. 2015. Teaching Students the art of the write-up. Clinical Teacher 12(4): 246-249.
- Shenvi CL, Bynum D, Biese K. 2014. Geriatric emergency medicine training valued as more seniors visit the ED. ACEP Now 33(7): 4-5.
- Bynum DL, Conterato A, Austin CA. 2014. When weakness is more than deconditioning: ANCA associated small vessel vasculitis. Consultant 54(3): 182-185.
- Muss H, Bynum DL. 2012. Adjuvant chemotherapy in older patients with stage III colon cancer: An underused lifesaving treatment. Editorial. Journal of Clinical Oncology: 2576-2578.
- Gotelli JM, Merryman P, Carr C, McElveen L, Epperson C, Bynum DL. 2008. A quality improvement project to reduce the complications associated with indwelling urinary catheters. Urologic Nursing 28(6): 465-467.
- Whitney A, Bohinc B, Butler M, Bynum DL, Malone R, Dewalt D, Pignone M. 2008. Increasing monofilament examinations as a means of teaching quality improvement. Clinical Diabetes 26(4): 167-169.
- Kistler CE, Lewis CL, Amick HR, Bynum DL, Walters LC, Watson LC. 2006. Older adults’ beliefs about physician-estimated life expectancy: a cross sectional survey. BMC Family Practice 7: 9-14.
- Lewis CL, Kistler CE, Amick HR, Watson LC, Bynum DL, Walters LC, Pignone M. 2006. Older adults’ attitudes about continuing cancer screening later in life: a pilot study interviewing residents of two continuing care communities. BMC Geriatrics August: 6-10.
- Monroe M, Bynum DL. 2003. Primary care physicians’ preferences regarding spiritual behavior in medical practice. Archives of Internal Medicine 163(2): 2751-2756.
- MacLean C, Susi B, Phifer N, Schultz L, Bynum D, Franco M, Klioze A, Monroe M. 2003. Preferences for physician discussion and practice of spirituality: Results from a multicenter patient survey. JGIM 18(1): 38-43.