Specialty Areas: Pulmonary hypertension, critical care
Chronology: AB: (1998) Rollins College, Winter Park, FL (1998); MD: University of Miami (Miller) School of Medicine (1998-2002); Internship (Internal Medicine): University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Miami, FL (2002-2003); Residency (Internal Medicine): University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center, Miami, FL (2003-2005); Fellowship (Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine): University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (2005-2008); Director, Pulmonary Hypertension Program ; Co-Medical Director, UNC Pulmonary Clinic
Dr. Ford is interested in clinical and translational research in the area of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH). He is involved in numerous multicenter clinical trials investigating therapies for PAH, as well as investigator initiated studies examining the treatment of PAH in the setting of sarcoidosis, cirrhosis, and interstitial lung disease (pulmonary fibrosis). He is also investigating the role of inflammatory and procoagulant biomarkers in the pathogenesis and clinical manifestations of PAH.
- Lee DW, Gopalratnam K, Ford HJ, Rose-Jones, LJ. The Value of Bedside Echocardiogram in the Setting of Acute and Chronic Pulmonary Embolism. Clin Chest Med. 2018 Sep;39(3):549-560
- Tzouvelekis A, Herazo-Maya JD, Ryu C, Zhang Y, Gibson KF, Adonteng-Boateng PK, Li Q, Pan H, Cherry B, Chu J, Ahmad F, Ford HJ, Herzog EL, Kaminski N, Fares WH. S100A12 a Marker of Worse Cardiac Output and Mortality in Pulmonary Hypertension. Respirology. 2018 Aug; 23(8):771-779
- Pathak V, Aris R, Jensen BC, Huang W, Ford HJ. Effect of 6-min Walk Test on pro-BNP Levels in Patients with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Lung. 2018 Jun;196(3):315-319
- Egnatchik RA, Brittain E, Amy T. Shah AT, Fares WH, Ford HJ, Monahan K, Kang CJ, Kocurek EG, Zhu S, Hysinger E, Austin E, Skala MC, Young, JD, Roberts LJ, Hemnes AR, West J, Fessel JP. Dysfunctional BMPR2 signaling drives an abnormal endothelial requirement for glutamine in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Pulm Circ. 2017 Feb 1;7(1):186-199.
- Ford HJ, Baughman RP, Aris R, Engel P, Donohue JF. Tadalafil Therapy for Sarcoidosis Associated Pulmonary Hypertension. Pulm Circ. 2016 Dec;6(4):557-562.
- Pathak V, Stavas J, Ford HJ, Austin CA, Aris RM. Long-term Outcomes of the Bronchial Artery Embolization are Diagnosis Dependent. Lung India. 2016 Jan-Feb; 33(1): 3-8.
- Fares WH, Ford HJ, Ghio AJ, Aris RM. Safety and Feasibility of Obtaining Wedged PA Samples and Differential Distribution of Biomarkers in Pulmonary Hypertension. Pulm Circ. 2012 Oct; 2(4):477-82.
- Fares WH, Blanchard SK, Stouffer GA, Chang PP, Rosamond WD, Aris RM, Ford HJ. Thermodilution and Fick Cardiac Outputs Differ: Impact on Pulmonary Hypertension Evaluation. Can Respir J. 2012 JulAug; 19(4):261-6.
- Judson MA, Ford HJ, Aris RM, Donohue J, Burt S, Highland K, Craft N, Kwon S. Ambrisentan for Sarcoidosis Associated Pulmonary Hypertension. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2011 Oct; 28(2):13945
- Fares W, Ford HJ, Aris RM. Pulmonary Hypertension: Clinical Presentation, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Dana Point World Symposium Highlights. Current Resp Med Rev. 2011; 7: 279-88.
- Ford HJ, Roubey R. Pulmonary Manifestations of the Anti-phospholipid antibody syndrome. Clinics in Chest Medicine. 2010; 31:537-45.
- Ford HJ, Aris RM, Andreoni K. Screening for portopulmonary hypertension with transthoracic echocardiography: implications for early mortality associated with liver transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009 Aug 15; 180(4):378. (Letter to the Editor)
- Wheless SA, Gulley ML, Raab-Traub N, McNeillie P, Neuringer IP, Ford HJ, Aris RM. Posttransplantation Lymphoproliferative Disorder: Epstein Barr Viral Loads, HLA A3, and Survival. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008; 178(10): 1060-5.