UNC Hospitals Provider: Yes
Specialty Areas: Palliative Care, long-term care medicine, medical education
2006 Continuing: Palliative Care Education and Practice Program. Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA
2002 MPH: Health Services. School of Public Health, University of Washington, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
2000 – 2002 Senior Fellow: Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholar. Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
1999 – 2000 Fellowship: Geriatric Medicine. Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA
1996 – 2000 Clinical Fellowship: Medicine. Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
1997 – 1999 Residency in Internal Medicine (Primary Care Track). Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MD
1996 – 1997 Internship: Internal Medicine. Beth Israel Hospital, Boston, MD
1996 MD: Medicine. Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH
1992 PBACC: Premedical Program. Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA
1991 BA: Political Science. Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
2015 – present Program Director, Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship, Center for Aging and Health, UNC School of Medicine
2011 – present Assistant Director, Transitional and Long-Term Care, Division of Geriatric Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
2009 – present Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Geriatric Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
2008 – present Medical Director, Carol Woods Retirement Community, Chapel Hill, NC
2005 – present Attending Physician, Palliative Care Program, UNC School of Medicine
2003 – 2009 Assistant Professor, Division of Geriatric Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
2002 – present Attending Physician, Carol Woods Retirement Community, Chapel Hill, NC
2002 – 2003 Assistant Professor, Division of General Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, UNC School of Medicine
2000 – 2002 Senior Fellow, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA
1996 – 2000 Clinical Fellow in Medicine, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
Research: Dr. Winzelberg’s research includes End of Life Care, patient goals, values, and preferences.Selected Bibliography:
- Hanson LC. Winzelberg G. Research priorities for geriatric palliative care: goals, values, and preferences. J Palliat Med 2013; 16: 1175-‐9.
- Beyea A. Stafford R. Winzelberg G. To Drain or Not to Drain: An evidence-‐based approach to palliative procedures for the management of malignant pleural effusions. J Pain Symptom Manage 2012; 44: 301-‐6.
- Hanson LC. Rowe C. Wessell K. Caprio AJ. Winzelberg G. Beyea A. Bernard SA. Measuring Palliative Care Quality for Seriously Ill Hospitalized Patients. J Palliat Med 2012; 15: 798-‐804.
- Winzelberg GS, Williams CS, Preisser JS, Zimmerman S, Sloane PD. Factors Associated With Nursing Assistant Quality of Life Ratings for Residents with Dementia in Long-‐Term Care Facilities, Gerontologist 2005; 45 Spec No 1: 106-‐114.
- Winzelberg GS, Hanson LC, Tulsky JA. Beyond Autonomy: Diversifying End of Life Decision-‐Making Priorities to Serve Patients and Families, J Am Geriatr Soc 2005; 53: 1046-‐1050.
- Winzelberg GS, Patrick DL, Rhodes LA, Deyo RA. Opportunities and Challenges to Improving End of Life Care for Seriously Ill Elderly Patients: A Qualitative Study of Generalist Physicians. J Palliat Med 2005; 8:291-‐299.
- Winzelberg GS. The Quest for Nursing Home Quality: Learning History’s Lessons. Arch Intern Med 2003; 163: 2552-‐2556.
- Goodlin SJ, Winzelberg GS, Teno JM, Whedon M, Lynn J. Death in the Hospital. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158: 1570-‐1572.