UNC Hospitals Provider: Yes UNC Hillsborough Geriatric Inpatient Hospital Service
Specialty Areas: Geriatrics, Memory loss and dementia, Post-acute care
2013 – 2015: Atlantic Philanthropies Health and Aging Policy Fellow, and American Political Science Association Congressional Fellow.
1980-1981: Geriatric Medicine Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center and the Department of Geriatric Medicine, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, Scotland.
1978 – 1980: Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program, The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
1976 – 1980: Duke-Watts Family Medicine Program, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina.
1972 – 1976: M.D., University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
1968 -1972: B.S., Antioch College, Yellow Springs, Ohio, Major: Biology/Pre-Medical
2015 – present: Professor, Family Medicine and Internal Medicine (Geriatrics), School of Medicine, University of North Carolina
2015 – present: Professor Emeritus, Family and Community Medicine and Geriatric Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
1998 – 1999: Interim chair, Department of Family Medicine and Community Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
1997 – 2000: Associate Medical Director, Alliance Partners, Inc., Health Alliance and Alliance Physicians and Surgeons, Cincinnati, Ohio
1995 – 2015: Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, and Martha Betty Semmons Professor of Geriatric Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
1990 – 2015: Geriatric Medicine Division, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
1990 – 1993: Associate Medical Director, Geriatric Medicine, Drake Center, Inc. (Rehabilitation and Long-term Care Facility affiliated with University Hospital), Cincinnati, Ohio
1988 – 2015: Director, Geriatric Medicine Program, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
1986 – 2015: Medical Director, Geriatric Evaluation Center, University of Cincinnati
1986 – 2013: Director, Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Cincinnati
1985 – 2014: Medical Director, Maple Knoll Village Retirement Home, Springdale, Ohio
1985 – 1995: Department of Family Medicine, University of Cincinnati (Tenure granted, September, 1990)
1982 – 1985: Medical Director, Geriatric Evaluation and Treatment Clinic, Duke University
1981 – 1995: Senior Fellow, Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Duke University
1981 – 1985: Assistant professor and Director, Geriatric Medicine Program, Department of Community and Family Medicine, Duke University
Research: Dr. Warshaw’s academic interests include geriatric medicine education, preventive health care for the elderly, the impact of hospitalization on older patients, clinical care of Alzheimer’s disease and, and the long-term care/acute care interface. From 2001-2012, Dr. Warshaw directed the American Geriatrics Society/Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs Geriatric Medicine Physician Workforce study. This study documented the growth of academic geriatrics within U.S. medical schools and the development of geriatrics training for medical students and residents.
- Hwang A, Warshaw GA. Joint AGS-CCEHI Survey Offers Insights into Patient Engagement at Geriatric Clinical Settings. J Am Geriatr Soc, 67: 1791-1794. doi:10.1111/jgs.16016
- Warshaw GA, Bragg EJ. The essential components of quality geriatric care. Generations. 2016:40(1):28-37.
- Warshaw GA, Bragg EJ. Preparing the health care workforce to care for adults with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias. Health Affairs, 2014: 33 (4):633-641.
- Warshaw G, DeGolia P. “Medicare and Medicaid Coordination – Special Case of the Dual Eligible Beneficiary”, In: Healthcare Changes and the Affordable Care Act: A Physician Call to Action. ed: Powers, J. Springer Publishing: New York, NY, p. 117-131, 2014.
- Ham, RJ, Sloane PD, Warshaw GA, Potter JF, Flaherty E. Ham’s Primary Care Geriatrics, 6th edition. eds: Elsevier: Philadelphia, 2014.
- Schlaudecker JD, Lewis TL, Moore I, Pallera H, Stecher A, Wiebracht ND, Warshaw GA. Teaching resident physicians’ chronic disease management: simulating a 10-year longitudinal clinical experience with a standardized dementia patient and caregiver. J Graduate Medical Educ, 2013 Sep; Vol. 5 (3),468-475.
- Bragg EJ, Warshaw G, Meganathan K, Brewer DE. The development of academic geriatric medicine in the United States 2005 to 2010: an essential resource for improving the medical care of older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc, 2012 Aug; Vol. 60 (8), 1540-5.
- Bragg EJ, Warshaw GA, Cheong J, Meganathan K, Brewer DE. National survey of geriatric psychiatry fellowship programs: comparing findings in 2006/07 and 2001/02 from the American Geriatrics Society and Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs’ Geriatrics Workforce Policy Studies Center. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, 2012 Feb; Vol. 20 (2), 169-78.
- Bragg EJ, Warshaw GA, van der Willik O, Meganathan K, Weber D, Cornwall D, Leonard AC. Paul B. Beeson career development awards in aging research and U.S. medical schools aging and geriatric medicine programs. J Am Geriatr Soc, 2011 Sep; Vol. 59 (9), 1730-8.
- Peterson LE, Bazemore A, Bragg EJ, Xierali I, Warshaw G. Rural-Urban Distribution of the U.S. Geriatrics Physician Workforce. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011:59:699-703, 2011.
- Bragg E, Warshaw G, Meganathan K, Brewer DE. National Survey of Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Programs: Comparing Findings in 2006-2007 and 2001-2002. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58:2166-2172.
- William BC, Warshaw G, MD, Fabiny AR, Lundebjerg N, Medina-Walpole A, Sauvigne MA, Schwartzberg JG, Leipzig RM. Defining Essential Geriatrics Competencies for Internal Medicine and Family Medicine Residents. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. September 2010: 373-383.
- Warshaw G, Modawal M, Kues J, Margolin G, Sehgal M, Cluxton R, Mueller S, Moore I. Community Physician Education in Geriatrics: Applying the ACOVE Model with a Multi-Site Primary Care Group. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2010; 58(9):1780-1785.
- Warshaw GA, Bragg EJ, Layde JB, Meganathan K, Brewer DE. ‘Geriatrics Education in Psychiatric Residencies: A National Survey of Program Directors’, Acad Psychiatry 34(1):39-45, January-February 2010.
- Reuben DB, Bachrach PS, McCreath H, Simpson D, Bragg EJ, Warshaw GA, Snyder R, Frank JC. ‘Changing the Course of Geriatrics Education: An Evaluation of the First Cohort of Reynolds Geriatrics Education Programs’, Academic Medicine, 84(5):619-626, May 2009.
- Warshaw GA, MD, Bragg EJ, Fried LP, Hall WJ. ‘Which Patients Benefit the Most from a Geriatrician’s Care? Consensus Among Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs.’ J Am Geriatr Soc. 2008; 56(10):1796-1801.
- Warshaw GA, Bragg EJ, Thomas DC, et al. Are Internal Medicine Residency Programs Adequately Preparing Physicians to Care for the Baby Boomers? A National Survey from the Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs Status of Geriatrics Workforce Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 54(10):1603-1609, October 2006.
- Bragg EJ, Warshaw GA, Arenson C, Ho ML, Brewer DE. “A National Survey of Family Medicine Residency Education in Geriatric Medicine: Comparing Findings in 2004 to 2001”, Family Medicine, 38(4):258-264, April 2006.
- Bragg EJ, Warshaw GA. ACGME requirements for geriatrics medicine curricula in medical specialties: Progress made and progress needed. Acad Med 2005 March; 80(3)279-85 (Review).
- Reuben DA, Lee M, Katz D, Warshaw GA, Medina-Walpole A, Bragg E, Frank JC. “Building Academic Geriatric Capacity: An Evaluation of the John A. Hartford Foundation Centers of Excellence Initiative”, J Am Geriatr Soc, 52(8):1384-1839, August, 2004.
- Warshaw GA, Thomas DC, Callahan EH, Bragg EJ, et al. “A National Survey on the Current Status of General Internal Medicine Residency Education in Geriatric Medicine: A Report from the Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs Longitudinal Study of Training and Practice in Geriatric Medicine. J Gen Intern Med, 18:1-6, 2003.
- Warshaw G, Bragg E. “The Training of Geriatricians in the United States: Three Decades of Progress”, J Am Geriatri Soc, 51(7):S338-S345, July 2003.
- Warshaw GA, Bragg EJ, Shaull RW, Goldenhar LM, Lindsell CJ. “Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Programs: A National Study from the Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs’ Longitudinal Study of Training and Practice in Geriatric Medicine”, J Am Geriatri Soc, 51(7):1023-1030, July 2003.
- Warshaw GA, Murphy JB, Kahn NB, Hejduk GR, Singleton, SR. “Geriatric Medicine Curriculum Consultations for Family Practice Residency Programs: American Academy of Family Physicians Residency Assistance Program/Hartford Geriatrics Initiative”, J Am Geriatr Soc 51(6):858-862, June 2003.
- Lieff S, Warshaw G, Bragg E, Shaull R, Goldenhar LM, Lindsell CJ. “Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Programs: A National Study from the Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs’ Longitudinal Study of Training and Practice in Geriatric Medicine”, Am J of Geri Psych, 11(3):291-299, May-June 2003.
- Warshaw GA, Bragg EJ, Shaull, RW, Lindsell CJ. “Academic Geriatric Programs in United States Allopathic and Osteopathic Medical Schools: A National Study from the Association of Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs’ Longitudinal Study of Training and Practice in Geriatric Medicine”, JAMA 288(18): 2313-2319, November 13, 2002.
- Hussain NA, Warshaw G. “Utility of Clysis for Hydration in Nursing Home Residents”. J Am Geriatr Soc 44(8):969-973, August 1996.
- Brooks S, Warshaw GA, Hasse L, Kues JR. The physician decision-making process in transferring nursing home patients to the hospital. Archives of Internal Medicine, Apr., 1994; 154:902-908.
- Warshaw GA, Moore JT, et al. Functional disability in the hospitalized elderly. JAMA, 1981; 248:847-850