Hans Herfarth was recruited to the faculty of the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology from the First Department of Internal Medicine of the University in Regensburg, Germany in May 2006. He is the Co-director of the UNC Multidisciplinary Center for IBD Research and Treatment.
Inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, celiac disease
Dr. Herfarth’s main research interests comprise the investigation of novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches in patients with inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). His focus is the conceptualization and execution of investigator initiated clinical studies in IBD, which are funded by the NIH, the CCFA and private as well as industry associated foundations. He is also participating as principal investigator in several industry sponsored IBD studies. Dr. Herfarth is the author of numerous journal articles, book chapters and reviews related to IBD.
Education and Training
- Medical Degree: University of Berlin
- Residency: University of Essen
- Research Fellowship: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Mucosal Immunology
- PhD: University of Regensburg, Mucosal Immunology
- Fellowship: University of Regensburg, Gastroenterology