Areas of Interest
Clinical trials, Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes, and Advanced kidney disease
I joined UNC Endocrine faculty in July 2022. With training in both basic science and clinical trials, I am passionate about bringing researchers from different fields, including clinicians, basic scientists, and pharmaceutical companies together to advance diabetes care in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. With the very experienced UNC Diabetes Clinical Trials Unit, I have been co-investigator on several major clinical trials. We recently published that a novel oral glucokinase activator improves glucose control in type 1 diabetes, and we will soon publish that a mechanistic study investigating how this drug impacts ketoacidosis in type 1 diabetes. As a faculty member, I will initiate a new project at the intersection of diabetes care and advanced kidney disease. Our team, which includes Drs John Buse (diabetes), Jenny Flythe (nephrology), and Lisa LaVange (biostatistics), will explore diabetes care in dialysis-dependent kidney disease.
- Undergraduate Stanford University
- Medical School University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Residency University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Fellowship University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- PhD Cellular and Molecular Physiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill