UNC Geriatrics Clinic Provider: Yes
UNC Hospitals Provider: Yes UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus Geriatric Inpatient Service
Specialty Areas: General geriatrics, healthy aging, geriatric syndromes, medical education
2010-2014: Research Fellowship: Geriatrics. Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
2012: MPH: Public Health. Gillings School of Global Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2008-2010: Residency: Internal Medicine. Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel, NC
2008: MD: Internal Medicine. University of North Carolina School of Medicine at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
2004: BS: Bachelor of Science in Biology. Summa cum laude. Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
2014 – present: Liaison to AHEC, Division of Geriatrics. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
2002: Research Assistant, Pregnancy, Infection, and Nutrition (PIN) Study. Department of Obstetrics-Gynecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC
Research: Dr. Wilson’s research includes a multicenter study on Internal Medicine Residents discussions of code status and ongoing evaluations of innovative geriatric curriculum for medical students.
- Callahan K, Wilson LA, et al. Residents’ Management of Core Geriatric Conditions. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. Accepted, in press.
- Wilson LA and Drickamer M. Delirium Book Chapter. Reichel’s Care of the Elderly, 7th Edition.
- Laks, J, Wilson LA, et al. Service-Learning in Communities of Elders: Development and Evaluation of an Introductory Geriatrics Course for Medical Students. Teaching and Learning in Medicine Vol 28. No. 2, 210-218. 2016.
- Laks J and Wilson LA. Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite: An Overlooked Cause of Rash in an Older Adult. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Bynum D, Wilson LA et al. Meeting AGS competencies: Are residents meeting expectations for quality care of older adults? Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
- Bond, M, Ellis D, Sims C, Wilson LA. Urolithiasis as an Unusual Cause of Failure to Thrive. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Am Geriatr Soc. 2014 Jul;62(7):1409-10.
- Blasiak RC, Teigland CL, Hines RE, Meyerhoff KL, Wilson LA Viera AJ. “A Cross-sectional Study of Medical Students’ Knowledge of Patient Safety and Quality Improvement.” NCMJ vol. 75, no. 1, 15-20.
- Wilson LA, Roberts E, Waller N, Biese K, Caprio A, Busby-Whitehead J. “Three Standardized Patient Cases to Teach the Confusion Assessment Method to Diagnose Delirium.” MedEdPORTAL Publications. Mar 2013. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9393.
- Teigland CL, Blasiak RC, Wilson LA, Hines RE, Meyerhoff KL, Viera AJ. “Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Education: A Cross-Sectional Study of Medical Students’ Preferences and Attitudes.” BioMed Central Medical Education. Feb 2012.
- Dellon ES, Gibbs WB, Fritchie KJ, Rubinas TC, Wilson LA, Woosley JT, Shaheen NJ. “Clinical, endoscopic, and histologic findings distinguish eosinophilic esophagitis from gastroesophageal reflux disease.” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2009 Dec; 7(12):1305-13; quiz 1261. Epub 2009 Sep 3.