Undergraduate: Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia Facultad de Medicina Alberto Hurtado
Medical School: Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia Facultad de Medicina Alberto Hurtado
Residency: Jackson Memorial Hospital (JMH) /University of Miami (UM)
Research and Career Path
Living in a country with tropical climates, like Peru, provided me the opportunity to closely research infectious diseases. With HTLV-1 (Human T Leukemia Virus Type 1) as a prevalent infection in Peru, HTLV-1-associated conditions soon became my field of study with an emphasis during last few years in adult T cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATLL). I later found cancer-associated infections as my preferred field for study. Diseases like ATLL carry a poor prognosis urging the development of new therapies. One of my biggest interests has been the characterization of CD30 expression in ATLL and other rare lymphomas for development, and optimization of anti-CD30 therapies using preclinical models. Ongoing research studies that I am currently working on include: the impact of interferon regulatory factor 4 (IRF4) expression in treatment and prognosis in ATLL and other rare lymphomas; the graft-versus-lymphoma effect in patients with non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas (NHLs) undergoing stem cell transplant (at Dr. Benjamin Vincent lab) and a retrospective study on safety and efficacy of pre-phase therapy prior to definitive multi-agent chemotherapy in NHLs.
- Dec 2019 – American Society of Hematology Abstract Achievement Award for the abstract titled “Adherence to Infectious Disease Screening and Immunization Guidelines When Treating Non-Malignant Immune-Mediated Hematologic Disorders (#792)”
- Sep 2019 – North Carolina Oncology Association Outstanding Fellow Award
- May 2019 – Research Training Award for Fellows (RTAF) by the American Society of Hematology
- Apr 2019 – American Society of Clinical Oncology Young Investigator Award
- Dec 2017 – American Society of Hematology Abstract Achievement Award for the abstract titled “Epidemiology, Clinical Features, and Outcome of HTLV-1 Related Adult T-Cell Leukemia-Lymphoma in a Prevalent Area in the United States (#103483)”
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
Aleixo GFP, Nyrop KA, Shachar SS, Muss HB, Malpica L, Williams GR. Myosteatosis and prognosis in cancer: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2020 Jan;145:102839.
Malpica L, Mufuka B, Galeotti J, Tan X, Grover N, Clark S, Muss H, Dittus C. A Retrospective Study on Prephase Therapy Prior to Definitive Multiagent Chemotherapy in Aggressive Lymphomas. Leukemia and Lymphoma 2020. Accepted for publication.
Malpica L, Palmer S, Deal A, Chen S, Zhu A, Moll S. Rituximab-Related Late-Onset Neutropenia in Patients with Non-Malignant Immune-Mediated Hematologic Diseases. Am J Hematol 2020. Accepted for publication.
Malpica L, Palmer S, Deal A, Chen S, Zhu A, Moll S. Adherence to Infectious Disease Screening and Immunization Guidelines When Treating Benign Immune-Mediated Hematologic Disorders. Am J Hematol. 2019 Dec 24. doi: 10.1002/ajh.25710. [Epub ahead of print].
Malpica L, van Duin D, Moll S. Preventing Infectious Complications When Treating Non-Malignant Immune-Mediated Hematologic Disorders. American Journal of Hematology. Am J Hematol. 2019 Dec;94(12):1396-1412.
Malpica L, Leguia C, Freundt N, Barros N, Antunez de Mayolo A, White AC, Montes M. Increased Local Regulatory T cells and Diminished IgE Expression in Duodenal Mucosa of Strongyloides stercoralis/HTLV-1 Coinfected Patients. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019 Jun 6;13(6):e0007415.
Nichols M, Malpica L, Muss H, Montgomery N. Circulating lobular breast carcinoma masquerading as acute leukemia. Human Pathology: Case Reports. 2019. Volume 16, June 2019, 100284.
Malpica L, Pimentel A, Ramos JC. Epidemiology, clinical features, and outcome of HTLV-1–related ATLL in an area of prevalence in the United States. Blood Advances 2018 2:607-620.
Lopez G, Malpica L, Zavala S, White C, Antúnez de Mayolo E, Talledo M, Montes M. Quantitation of HTLV-1 proviral load from formalin-fixed duodenal tissues of patients with strongyloidiasis. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2020. Submitted.
Malpica L, Pimentel A, Ramos JC. Targeting CD30 Expression in Adult T-cell Leukemia-lymphoma (ATLL). In progress (Abstract at Blood 2017 130:374).
Malpica L, Campuzano-Zuluaga G, Ramos JC. Impact of IRF4/MUM1 Expression on Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma and Treatment Outcome. In progress (Abstract at Blood 2017 130:4134).
Malpica L, Dittus C. Textbook title: “Novel Therapeutics for Rare Lymphomas”. Chapter: Adult T-Cell Leukemia/Lymphoma. Springer. 2020.
Malpica L, Aleman M. Textbook title: “Spanish and the Medical Interview: Clinical Cases and Exam Review”. Chapter 12. Cases of Hematology and Oncology. Elsevier, in progress.
- ASH 2017: 2 oral presentations, 1 poster presentation
- ASH 2018: 1 poster presentation
- ASH 2019: 2 oral presentations, 4 poster presentations
- Human Retrovirology HTLV and Related Viruses 2019: 2 oral presentations, 1 poster presentation
- International Conference on Malignant Lymphoma. Lugano 2019: 1 poster presentation