Clinical Interests: Barrett’s Esophagus, Esophageal Cancer, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Eosinophilic Esophagitis, Esophageal Motility Disorders.
Academic Interests: Dr. Shaheen performs extensive clinical and translational research in diseases of the esophagus, with a special emphasis on pre-cancerous and cancerous conditions. He is interested in developing improved methods of detecting people who have these conditions before they present with symptoms. He is Director of the Center for Esophageal Diseases and Swallowing at UNC, and has authored more than 200 papers on these diseases.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate Degree: Harvard University, Biology
- Medical Degree: University of Chicago
- Masters of Public Health: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Epidemiology
- Residency: University of Chicago
- Fellowship: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Gastroenterology