Assistant Professor of Medicine
Director, UNC Rheumatology Fellowship Program
Specialty Areas: general rheumatology, evaluating and managing inflammatory arthritis, immuno-oncology, medical education.
Chronology: ScB with Honors and Magna Cum Laude: Brown University, 1996; PhD in Microbiology: Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Virginia, 2004; MD: School of Medicine, University of Virginia, 2005; Internal Medicine Resident: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 2005-2008; Rheumatology Fellow: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 2008-2011; Associate Clinician: Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 2011-2015; Instructor in Medicine: Harvard University, 2011-2015; Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine: University of North Carolina, 2015-present.
Description of research and/or clinical interests: Dr. Ishizawar is focused on providing exceptional care to patients with diverse rheumatologic conditions at the UNCH Rheumatology Specialty Clinic. She is involved in medical education at the University of North Carolina as well as through the American College of Rheumatology.
Dr. Ishizawar’s research is focused on understanding mechanisms that promote autoimmunity versus tolerance in the immune system. She has formed and leads the Immuno-Oncology Group (IOG). The IOG focuses on cancer patients treated with Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor (ICI) treatment who develop Immune Related Adverse Events (irAEs) and research that utilizes this unique opportunity to understand the pathogenesis of rare autoimmune conditions. She has previously participated in functional genomic research in rheumatoid arthritis.
Books and Chapters
- Medlin J, Ishizawar R. Chapter 8: Felty’s Syndrome. (pg 157-171) In: Rare Rheumatic Diseases of Immunological Dysregulation. Ed: Teresa K. Tarrant. 2019. Springer International Publishing Ed. 1.
- Ishizawar, R. Miscellaneous Rheumatic Diseases. In: Brigham and Women’s Experts’ Approach to Rheumatology, Coblyn JS, Bermas B, Weinblatt M, and Helfgott S editors. Jones and Bartlett Learning, LLC, 2011, pp. 175-196.
- Simarro M, Giannattasio G, De la Fuente MA, Benarafa C, Subramanian KK, Ishizawar R, Balestrieri B, Andersson EM, Luo HR, Orduña A, Boyce J, Anderson P. Fas-activated serine/threonine phosphoprotein promotes immune-mediated pulmonary inflammation. J Immunol, 2010;184(9):5325-32.
- Ishizawar RC, Miyake T, Parsons SJ. c-Src modulates ErbB2 and ErbB3 heterocomplex formation and function. Oncogene, 2007;26(24):3503-10. 3. Ishizawar RC, Tice DA, Karaoli T, Parsons SJ. The C terminus of c-Src inhibits breast tumor cell growth by a kinase-independent mechanism. J Biol Chem, 2004;279(22):23773-81.
- Henderson LA, Loring SH, Gill RR, Liao KP, Ishizawar R, Kim S, Perlmutter-Goldenson R, Rothman D, Son MB, Stoll ML, Zemel LS, Sandborg C, Dellaripa PF, Nigrovic PA. Shrinking lung syndrome as a manifestation of pleuritis: a new model based on pulmonary physiological studies. J Rheumatol, 2013;40(3):273-81.
- Velez NF, Ishizawar RC, Dellaripa PF, Saavedra AP, Laga AC, Murphy GF, Fisher DC, Kupper TS, Vleugels RA. Full facial edema: a novel presentation of subcutaneous panniculitis-like T-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol, 2012;30(25):e233-6.
- Ishizawar R, Parsons SJ. c-Src and cooperating partners in human cancer. Cancer Cell 2004; 6(3):209-14.
- Biscardi JS, Ishizawar RC, Silva CM, Parsons SJ. Tyrosine kinase signaling in breast cancer: epidermal growth factor receptor and c-Src interactions in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2000;2(3):203-10.
- Cunningham M, Alvarez C, Saxena Beem S, Schwartz T, Ishizawar R. Neutrophil to Lymphocyte Ratio as a Predictor of Immune-Related Adverse Events in CTLA-4 Treated Patients: A Retrospective Review. ACR Convergence 2020. Abstract ID: 909225
- Atchley W, Alvarez C, Saxena Beem S, Schwartz TA, Ishizawar RC, Patel KP, Rivera M. Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor-Related Pneumonitis in Lung Cancer: A Retrospective Multi-Site Assessment of Real-World Incidence, RiskFactors, and Management Practices. American Thoracic Society Annual Meeting 2020 (canceled due to COVID-19). Online. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2020;201:A6179. Internet address: www.atsjournals.org
- Romero R, Schwartz T, Saxena Beem S, and Ishizawar RC. Immune Related Adverse Events from Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors: A Retrospective Analysis from 2004-2017 at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 2018 American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting. October 19-24, 2018. Chicago, IL – Abstract #356
- Ishizawar RC, Lester CL, Cui J, Doench J, Plenge RM* and Brenner MB*. A Functional Genomic Screen of Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk Genes in Primary Human T Cells Reveals DDX6 As a Negative Modulator of Cytokine Expression. 2016 American College of Rheumatology Annual Meeting. November 11-16, 2016. Washington D.C. – Abstract #1567
- Ishizawar RC, Lester CL, Duclos G, Brenner MB, and Plenge RM. Rheumatoid Arthritis Risk Genes in CD4+ T cell Biology. ACR Rheumatology Research Workshop. June 21-23, 2013. Dallas Fairmont Hotel, Dallas, Texas – Abstract #FAC007
- Ishizawar RC and Parsons SJ. HER2, HER3, and c-Src cooperative interactions in breast cancer. Era of Hope Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Meeting. Sept 25-28, 2002. Orange county Convention Center, Orlando, Florida- Poster Session P1-12.
- Ishizawar RC and Parsons SJ. Interactions between HER2, HER3, and c-Src in two breast cancer model systems. 93rd American Association of Cancer Research Annual Meeting. April 6-10, 2002. Moscone Convention Center, San Francisco, CA. Cell and Tumor Biology 32: Receptor Signaling I: EGFR/ERBR/Breast Cancer Poster Session-Abstract #3561.
- Ishizawar RC and Parsons SJ. Interactions between HER2, HER3, and c-Src in two breast cancer model systems. 10th Annual Graduate Biosciences Society Spring Student Research Symposium and Poster Session. April 23, 2002. Jordan Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA. Poster #29.
- Ishizawar RC, Tice DA, Lavelle D, Karaoli T, and Parsons SJ. c-Src as a potential therapeutic target for human mammary carcinoma. Keystone Symposia: Advances in Human Breast and Prostate Cancer. March 19-24, 2000. Incline Village, NV. Poster session 3-#305 and Presentation in Workshop 1: Breast Cancer