Areas of Interest
ARDS, mechanical ventilation and critical care
Dr. Carson’s research interests include:
1. Outcomes of Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation
2. Sedation Practices for Mechanically Ventilated Patients
3. Organization of Critical Care Services
Dr. Carson joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina School of Medicine in 1999 and currently serves as Professor and Chief of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. His research interests include health services research and clinical trials in critical illness and comparative effectiveness research in COPD. His research is supported by grants funded by the NHLBI, NINR, and PCORI. He has a particular interest in patients requiring prolonged mechanical ventilation and is part of a research network (the ProVent Investigators) that is currently conducting randomized controlled trials of interventions to improve physician-family communication in the management of these challenging patients. He has been a co-investigator in the NHLBI ARDS Network, and he was also a co-PI in the COPD Network for Comparative Effectiveness Research and Translation (CONCERT Network). Dr. Carson is an active member of the American Thoracic Society and served as the Chair of the Critical Care Assembly. He serves on the Quality Improvement Committee and served on writing groups for statements on Pay-for-Performance, Comparative Effectiveness Research, and Implementation Science. He has been a consultant on projects for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services using Medicare data to assess the role and function of Long-term Care Hospitals in the care of patients with complex acute illness.
Degrees: BS: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (1985); MD: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC (1989); Residency: University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (1992); Fellowship:University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (1995)
- Anderson WG, Cimino JW, Ernecoff NC, Ungar A, Shotsberger KJ, Pollice LA, Buddadhumaruk P, Carson SS, Curtis JR, Hough CL, Lo B, Matthay MA, Peterson MW, Steingrub JS, White DB. A multicenter study of key stakeholders’ perspectives on communicating with surrogates about prognosis in intensive care units. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Feb;12(2):142-52. PubMed PMID: 25521191; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4342839.
- Hough CL, Caldwell ES, Cox CE, Douglas IS, Kahn JM, White DB, Seeley EJ, Bangdiwala SI, Rubenfeld GD, Angus DC, Carson SS. Development and Validation of a Mortality Prediction Model for Patients Receiving 14 Days of Mechanical Ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2015 Nov;43(11):2339-45. PubMed PMID: 26247337.
- Cox CE, Wysham NG, Walton B, Jones D, Cass B, Tobin M, Jonsson M, Kahn JM, White DB, Hough CL, Lewis CL, Carson SS. Development and usability testing of a Web-based decision aid for families of patients receiving prolonged mechanical ventilation. Ann Intensive Care. 2015;5:6. PubMed PMID: 25852965; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4385299.
- Stefan MS, Au DH, Mularski RA, Krishnan JA, Naureckas ET, Carson SS, Godwin P, Priya A, Pekow PS, Lindenauer PK. Hospitalist attitudes toward the assessment and management of dyspnea in patients with acute cardiopulmonary diseases. J Hosp Med. 2015 Nov;10(11):724-30. PubMed PMID: 26199095; NIHMSID: NIHMS703132; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4624477
- Lin FJ, Pickard AS, Krishnan JA, Joo MJ, Au DH, Carson SS, Gillespie S, Henderson AG, Lindenauer PK, McBurnie MA, Mularski RA, Naureckas ET, Vollmer WM, Lee TA. Measuring health-related quality of life in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: properties of the EQ-5D-5L and PROMIS-43 short form. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014 Jun 16;14:78. PubMed PMID: 24934150; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4072614
- Prieto-Centurion V, Rolle AJ, Au DH, Carson SS, Henderson AG, Lee TA, Lindenauer PK, McBurnie MA, Mularski RA, Naureckas ET, Vollmer WM, Joese BJ, Krishnan JA. Multicenter study comparing case definitions used to identify patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014 Nov 1;190(9):989-95. PubMed PMID: 25192554; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4299587.
- Carson SS, Goss CH, Patel SR, Anzueto A, Au DH, Elborn S, Gerald JK, Gerald LB, Kahn JM, Malhotra A, Mularski RA, Riekert KA, Rubenfeld GD, Weaver TE, Krishnan JA. An official American Thoracic Society research statement: comparative effectiveness research in pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013 Nov 15;188(10):1253-61. PubMed PMID: 24160906.
- Carson SS, Kahn JM, Hough CL, Seeley EJ, White DB, Douglas IS, Cox CE, Caldwell E, Bangdiwala SI, Garrett JM, Rubenfeld GD. A multicenter mortality prediction model for patients receiving prolonged mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2012 Apr;40(4):1171-6. PubMed PMID: 22080643; NIHMSID: NIHMS353061; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3395423.
- Carson SS, Vu M, Danis M, Camhi SL, Scheunemann LP, Cox CE, Hanson LC, Nelson JE. Development and validation of a printed information brochure for families of chronically critically ill patients. Crit Care Med. 2012 Jan;40(1):73-8. PubMed PMID: 21926610; NIHMSID: NIHMS318374; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3339568.
- Cox CE, Lewis CL, Hanson LC, Hough CL, Kahn JM, White DB, Song MK, Tulsky JA, Carson SS. Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for surrogates of patients with prolonged mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2012 Aug;40(8):2327-34. PubMed PMID: 22635048; NIHMSID: NIHMS511910; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3826165.
- Cox CE, Porter LS, Hough CL, White DB, Kahn JM, Carson SS, Tulsky JA, Keefe FJ. Development and preliminary evaluation of a telephone-based coping skills training intervention for survivors of acute lung injury and their informal caregivers. Intensive Care Med. 2012 Aug;38(8):1289-97. PubMed PMID: 22527082; NIHMSID: NIHMS421046; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3535183.
- Girard TD, Pandharipande PP, Carson SS, Schmidt GA, Wright PE, Canonico AE, Pun BT, Thompson JL, Shintani AK, Meltzer HY, Bernard GR, Dittus RS, Ely EW. Feasibility, efficacy, and safety of antipsychotics for intensive care unit delirium: the MIND randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Crit Care Med. 2010 Feb;38(2):428-37. PubMed PMID: 20095068; NIHMSID: NIHMS456106; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3645269.
- Carson SS, Garrett J, Hanson LC, Lanier J, Govert J, Brake MC, Landucci DL, Cox CE, Carey TS. A prognostic model for one-year mortality in patients requiring prolonged mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2008 Jul;36(7):2061-9. PubMed PMID: 18552692; NIHMSID: NIHMS112543; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2728216.
- Carson SS, Kress JP, Rodgers JE, Vinayak A, Campbell-Bright S, Levitt J, Bourdet S, Ivanova A, Henderson AG, Pohlman A, Chang L, Rich PB, Hall J. A randomized trial of intermittent lorazepam versus propofol with daily interruption in mechanically ventilated patients. Crit Care Med. 2006 May;34(5):1326-32. PubMed PMID: 16540958.
- Carson SS, Bach PB. Predicting mortality in patients suffering from prolonged critical illness: an assessment of four severity-of-illness measures. Chest. 2001 Sep;120(3):928-33. PubMed PMID: 11555531.