Clinical Focus: Advanced Endoscopic Procedures. Endoscopic treatment of complex gastrointestinal disorders, particularly management of pancreaticobiliary obstruction through the use of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) and endoscopic ultrasound (EUS). Specializing in pancreaticobiliary obstruction in patients with post-surgical gastrointestinal anatomy.
Academic Interests: Dr. Baron performs extensive clinical research in endoscopic management of diseases throughout the gastrointestinal tract. He is interested in developing improved methods of treating a variety of conditions using interventional endoscopic techniques, many of which were previously treated surgically. He is Director of Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy at UNC, and has authored more than 600 papers. Dr. Baron is editor of a comprehensive textbook entitled ERCP, now in its second edition. He performs a large number of diagnostic EUS procedures for tissue acquisition and therapeutic EUS procedures for management of pancreaticobiliary disorders.
Education and Training
- Undergraduate: University of Florida, Bachelor of Science in Chemistry
- Medical School: University of Florida
- Residency: University of Alabama at Birmingham, Internal Medicine
- Fellowship: University of Alabama at Birmingham, Gastroenterology
- Fellowship: Duke University, ERCP Training