Thank you for your interest in our program.
We request that you submit your application through ERAS.
Please include the following as part of your application:
- Letter from the Department of Medicine (Chair)- note to our preliminary medicine applicants, this is NOT needed for your applications
- Two additional Letters of Reference. These may come from faculty in any department.
- One year of Clinical Experience in the United States with supporting letters.
- We only sponsor J1 VISAs.
Applicants interested in the Physician Scientist Training Program, click here.
Applicants interested in the Internal Medicine–Pediatrics Residency Program, click here.
Thank you for applying to our program. Given the continuing surge of the COVID pandemic, we will continue to offer only virtual interviews for the 2021-2022 application cycle.
As in prior years, we continue to review our applications in a holistic manner, and do not have specific cut-offs for USMLE scores or grades. We also take pride in the fact that we personally review our applications and wait until we receive the MSPE (Dean’s letters) before we send out invitations to interview.
We will send out either an invitation to interview or a rejection notice to all applicants beginning within the first two weeks of October. We aim to be fair and transparent in this process and feel strongly that it is not right to leave applicants in the dark about their status.
The interview day will include an interview with a core faculty member, one of our Chief Residents, and a one-on-one meeting with the Program Director. Given our goal to make this a high-quality experience for every applicant, interview slots are limited. We also promise to have an available slot for every applicant we invite to interview. Fewer interview invitations means that we will lose out on meeting many outstanding and wonderful applicants, but we hope that this process is fair and transparent and offers the best experience that we can in a virtual format.
- We do not send out interview invitations before we have the MSPE.
- We let all applicants know whether or not they are invited to interview.
- Invitations to interview will be sent out beginning in early to mid-October.
- Applicants who are not invited to interview will be informed of our committee’s decision by the first week of November.
- If you are invited to interview, we guarantee that we will have an available slot to interview you at some point during the interview season.
- We do not use the USMLE scores to stratify applicants.
- We aim to be transparent and fair in our process to every applicant.
- We adhere to all NRMP rules and regulations.
- It is our sincere goal to make the entire interview process a personal one that follows the “UNC Way” – even in the virtual world.
Information about the ERAS supplemental application:
For the 2022 ERAS® cycle, our program will be participating in the supplemental ERAS application offered through the AAMC’s ERAS program. Applicants will be required to complete the MyERAS application, and participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional.