Why See a Geriatrician?
Your Primary Care Doctor Is Also Your Aging Specialist
Benefits of Geriatric Medicine
As primary care doctors who are aging specialists, Geriatricians:
- provide care that is informed by the latest research on aging
- understand how brain function interacts with physical function
- pay attention to the patient’s life outside the clinic and their daily needs, activities, and abilities
- work with families and outside specialists to manage and coordinate care
- help patients plan for a continuum of care and anticipate future health needs
Physicians in the Division of Geriatric Medicine train other physicians, fellows, and residents to respond effectively to the needs of older adults, no matter where they receive care within the UNC system. We have board certified Geriatricians in family medicine, oncology, palliative care, social medicine, neurology, pharmacology, and emergency medicine.
Understanding Patient Goals
Our mission is to keep patients healthy, active, independent and maintaining their highest quality of life. We see older adults who are healthy. We also see older adults with multiple chronic conditions who need their doctor to manage many symptoms, illnesses, and issues. Every person ages differently and has their own goals for care.
Geriatric medicine is grounded in understanding patient priorities, values, and goals. What matters most to you? Our Geriatricians want to know.