Areas of Interest
Bariatric Endoscopy, including primary endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG), revisional procedures including transoral outlet reduction (TORe) for gastric bypass revision, gastric sleeve revisions, intragastric balloon placements, and management of post-operative complications. Advanced and Therapeutic Endoscopy, including endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) as well as endoscopic ultrasound (EUS).
Dr. Hathorn is a specialist in both bariatric endoscopy and advanced/therapeutic endoscopy techniques. As the Director of Bariatric Endoscopy at UNC, her areas of interest include endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG), endoscopic revision of gastric bypass with transoral outlet reduction (TORe,) endoscopic revision of sleeve gastrectomy, and intragastric balloon placements. She also is interested in management of complications post-bariatric surgery. Additionally, she performs advanced pancreaticobiliary procedures for a wide range of complex gastrointestinal disorders through the use of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) as well as both diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopic ultrasound (EUS).
Education and Training
- Undergraduate Duke University
- Medical School Duke University
- Residency Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Bariatric Endoscopy Fellowship Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School
- Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellowship University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill