Dr. Ma is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology and is the Fellowship Director for the Hematology/Oncology Program.
What is your clinical expertise?
1. General non-malignant hematology, with a focus on bleeding disorders
2. Consultative hematology
What is your current role in the Department of Medicine?
1. Fellowship director for Hematology/Oncology
2. Clinical Associate Professor—see patients 3 days per week, on consult service 10 weeks/year
3. Course Director for Hematology
4. Chair, Student Progress Committee for the Medical School
What current project or initiative at UNC are you involved in that you are excited about?
The TEC (Translational Education at Carolina) curriculum for the medical school—helping develop the curriculum for the foundation phase (semesters 1-3), and tweaking the hematology course so it continues to be the students’ favorite first year course.
Where is an interesting place you’ve traveled?
I have been 4 times to Addis Abbaba to help the Black Lion Hospital set up a Hemophilia Center. It’s been fascinating to see the influence of increased development money (especially from China) on the resources available for health care. I can’t wait until Ethiopia opens up a little more for tourism. I’d be excited to travel more to the north of Ethiopia to see Gondor, Exum, and Lallibela.