Areas of Interest
Dr. Melanie N. Allard is a Doctorate Prepared, Board-Certified Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) who has experience serving as an inpatient and outpatient Gastroenterology Nurse Practitioner within a community healthcare setting. In addition to the eight years of inpatient critical care Registered Nurse (RN) experience at Level 1 and 2 hospitals, Melanie has completed an advanced clinical training within the outpatient primary care setting during her FNP residency through East Carolina University. Her professional background in a gastroenterology specialty clinic along with various Intensive Care Unit (ICU) settings including Step-Down, Cardiac and Medicine has given her the innate aptitude to provide quality, compassionate, and evidence-based care.
Melanie is an enthusiastic, multi-disciplinary team member and dedicated professional whose experiences embody critical thinking and situational awareness that will allow the versatility to be placed in any settings with confidence that all expectations will be met. She is motivated to learn, grow, and excel as an advanced practice provider with hopes of providing patient centered, safe, and ethical care to adult oncology patients. She hopes to ensure that her experience allows her the ability to help patients and families voice their wishes, whether palliative or curative, while ensuring symptoms are managed, treatment regimens are followed, clinical trials are adhered to, survivorship is supported and dignity centered end-of-life care is offered and validated, while collaborating with top notch professionals across various disciplines and specialties.
Melanie continues to pursue leadership opportunities in her role through active memberships in professional organizations such as AASLD, AGA, AACN, ANCC, and Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society. She is considered a “lifelong learner” with the intention of completing her post master’s certification through UNC Chapel Hill, as an Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP, expected May 2023. As she continues to pursue advanced certifications, she also holds future aspirations of becoming an Advanced Oncology Certified Nurse Practitioner.
Education and Training
- BS: Nursing, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 2013;
- BS: Arts in Criminology, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 2014;
- Minor(s): Forensics & Sociology, University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 2014;
- Progressive Care Unit (PCU) RN: New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Wilmington, NC, 2013-2014;
- Coronary Care ICU RN: New Hanover Regional Medical Center, Wilmington, NC, 2014 – 2016;
- Medicine ICU RN: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2016 – 2021;
- Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN): American Association of Critical Care, 2018;
- Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP): East Carolina University, 2020;
- Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP-BC): American Nurses Credentialing Center, 2020;
- Gastroenterology NP: Duke Life Point, Henderson, NC, 2021 – 2022;
- Adult Oncology NP: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2022 – Present;
- Post-Masters NP Certification: Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (Expected May 2023);