Information for Referring Providers
Who is eligible for endobronchial valves?
- Patients with COPD who are short of breath despite maximal guideline-based medical therapies
- Patients with hyperinflation by lung volumes
- Patients who have quit smoking at least 4 months ago
- Patients who take less than 20 mg prednisone daily
- Patients who have had less than two hospital admissions for COPD exacerbations within the last 12 months
How do I refer my patients?
- Within UNC System:
- Place an order for “Ambulatory referral to Pulmonology” and specify “Interventional Pulmonology – BLVR referral” in the comments
- Outside UNC System:
- Fax referrals to Vickie Dowdy at 984-974-8610
What can my patient expect at their first visit?
- Patients will undergo testing on their initial clinic visit day including lung function tests, CT scan, echocardiogram, blood tests
- Patients will meet one of our interventional pulmonologists to discuss details of the procedure and recovery, discuss their test results, and the need for any further testing or evaluation
- Patients will get a printed summary of their visit including a plan for next steps. Information will also be sent to the referring provider, usually via fax within one week of the clinic visit