Skip to main content

General Information

What is the MED program?

The MED Program is a demanding academic preparatory program for minority and underrepresented students with an intensive curriculum that mimics the first semester of medical and dental school. The program enhances your studying and test-taking skills and strengthens your sciences to prepare you adequately to begin medical or dental school. Participants take courses in biochemistry, gross anatomy, histology, microbiology, physiology, and dental theory (pre-dental). The MED dental theory course is held at Durham Technical Community College. We unfortunately are unable to provide transportation between campuses.

How long is the program and when/where is the program held?

The program is tentatively planned for nine (9) weeks and is usually held from Memorial Day until the last Friday in July. It is held on the campus of UNC – Chapel Hill at the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry.

What is the typical daily schedule?

Classes and professional sessions are scheduled Monday – Friday, 8:00 – 5:00 pm daily with study review sessions on Saturday from 9:00am-12:00pm. Participants are in class for the full time most days. All scheduled sessions are required, unless indicated by the program staff. A typical weekly schedule would resemble the following: (Note: This is not a final schedule but intended to be a guide. Dates and times are tentative).



8:00am – 12:00pm – Professional Development Seminars

1:00pm – 5:00pm – MED Core 4 Workshops

*3:30pm – 7:30pm – Dental Theory Course


ACADEMIC BLOCK 1 – June 8 – June 26, 2020 

8:00am-12:00pm – Biochemistry

1:00am-5:00pm – Microbiology

ACADEMIC Block 2 – June 30 – July 25, 2020

8:00am-12:00pm – Histology & Physiology

1:00pm – 5:00pm – Gross Anatomy


  • LABS

240 hours of instructional time

Classes are held M-F 8:00am-5:00pm with occasional evening events and office hours. Mandatory Saturday review sessions are held each Saturday from 9:00am-12:00pm.

Can you miss any days of MED?

Students accepted into the MED Program are expected to be present for the full duration of the program. Absences are excused in the event of personal illness or extenuating circumstances. However, extended absence from the program will hinder performance as the program is rigorous and has weekly examinations without time for making up missed work and further participation in the program will be left to the discretion of the Director.

How many people apply each year?

Over 300 applications are completed each year.

How many people are chosen each year?

The program accepts 90 applicants in total. Seventy (70) applicants are accepted for the medical component and twenty (20) for the dental component.

When are selections made?

Applicants should expect notification about the status of their application during the first week of April.

Is there a waitlist?


Is the waitlist ranked?


Are there interviews?



What is the amount of the stipend?

The amount of the taxable stipend is $3000, which is distributed in two installments of $2000 and $1000 at 21 day intervals. These funds are intended to help subsidize the cost of meals, transportation, and general living expenses. Housing and other program materials are provided by the MED Program.

Are accommodations provided?

The program pays for participant housing in an on-campus dormitory. Participants must bring all personal items. Furniture is provided in the dormitory (bed, dresser, and desk included).

Applying to the Program

Who is eligible to apply?

Applicants must have completed at least three years of college course work including Organic Chemistry (Part 1) and possess a strong background in the major biological and physical sciences that are preparation for medical and dental school. A cumulative science GPA of 2.75 or higher is highly recommended. Criteria for selection are based on a number of factors, including educational promise, a strong commitment to a health career, and lack of past opportunities. You must be considered underrepresented in medicine/dentistry in some way to be eligible. Refer to question below regarding underrepresented status for clarification. The program is designed for rising seniors in undergraduate school and post-graduates. There is no age limit and you do not have to currently be enrolled in school. As long as you fulfill the requirements of the program, your application will be considered with the same consideration as other applicants.

What is the definition of underrepresented, in terms of being eligible for the MED Program?

The definition for underrepresented status is any student who is considered educationally, economically, or socially underrepresented within medicine/dentistry. Examples of each are as follows:

Education: Attending schools that are considered disadvantaged in ranking or are located in under-served areas of the state (such as Eastern & Western NC)

Economic: Low family income and individual income

Social: A member of certain groups that are considered underrepresented in the medical/dental professions, such as African-American, American Indian, Hispanic or Pacific Islander.

Non-traditional students: An older applicant may be considered non-traditional, as well as students with military background and students who are changing their career path.

Can out-of-state applicants apply?

Yes, non-North Carolina residents are encouraged to apply. Each summer approximately one-third of the participants are from other states.

Are international/foreign students eligible?

Eligible: US Citizens or Permanent Resident Alien (green card)

Ineligible: Any visa type that is NOT Permanent Resident Alien

Are current medical/dental applicants eligible?

Yes, students currently applying to medical and dental schools are able to apply. If you have completed the AMCAS or the AADSAS application and applied to either UNC School of Medicine or Dentistry, you should email our office at requesting release of your application, including letters of recommendation and transcripts to our program. Please provide your application ID and name. You will still need to complete the online MED application and submit financial information (if applicable) by the deadline.

What if I am a re-applicant to the MED program?

Re-applicants are eligible to apply. Re-applicants should notate on the online application that their previous year’s application be added to the current year application. From your previous application, your picture, essay, transcript and letters of recommendation can be used for the current year’s application. However, re-applicants must still complete and submit the following items:

  1. Current online MED Application
  2. Updated Transcripts
  3. One new additional letter of recommendation.


Completing The Application

When do applications become available?

Currently the application for MED 2021 is not expected to open. MED 2020 was deferred to MED 2021 due to Covid and we do anticipate opening the application for additional applicants.

When does the applications close?

Currently the application for MED 2021 is not expected to open. MED 2020 was deferred to MED 2021 due to Covid and we do anticipate opening the application for additional applicants.

Where are applications available?

Applications are typically available online via the website.

What is the deadline for submission of the application supplemental materials?
       Dependent upon each year’s timeline, but usually the third week in January.

DECEMBER Online applications are due for submission electronically. The online application includes:

  • All essay questions
  • Letters of recommendation
  • CV

Students who complete the online application will be invited to submit their transcripts and financial documents (financial hardship status) and thus, have a second deadline to meet:

JANUARY Official transcripts & financial documents must be postmarked 


Official transcripts may be sent directly from the college/university attended, or, if you are submitting multiple transcripts (more than one), we ask that you collect all transcripts in signed/sealed envelopes and mail in one envelope with your name & applicant ID. Transcripts and/or financial documents may be mailed to:


Financial documents –

If, and only if, you are claiming financial hardship do you need to submit any financial documents. Your FAFSA and/or 2019/2018 tax information should be mailed to the Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity:


The Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity

333 S. Columbia Dr.

041 MacNider Hall

CB# 7530

Chapel Hill, NC 27514 



Academic Background

What is the minimum overall GPA? 2.75

What is the minimum science GPA required? 2.75

What courses should be included in the science GPA?

All biology, chemistry, math, and physics courses should be included. This includes courses in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, physics, and mathematics. Courses in psychology, sociology, public health, etc should not be included. Courses should also be included that were taken at other institutions and during postgraduate work.

How do I calculate my science GPA?

Tally all your math and sciences courses to determine an average. We will do the official calculations for our purposes.

What are the Organic Chemistry requirements?

Our program requires one level of organic chemistry because students are at a disadvantage in the biochemistry course if they have not successfully completed the first session of organic chemistry prior to MED. This requirement is met with successfully passing Organic Chemistry I with a grade of C or higher.

What does it mean to have a “strong background in the physical sciences”?

This means you have taken and successfully completed (a grade of B or higher) classes in the biological and physical sciences.

How should I explain any grade discrepancies?

You should explain any poor performance in courses, repeated courses, course withdrawals, etc. in writing and submit with your transcripts.


Which transcripts should be submitted?

Official transcripts only, in a signed sealed envelope from all institutions that you have ever attended to be sent in a single packet with the other requested items to our office. This includes summer session courses and bi-institutional programs, such as the Robertson Scholar’s Program. Please note, you do not need to submit any community college transcripts with ONLY non-science courses; if a science course(s) was completed, you must submit an official transcript.

Should I send a transcript if the courses were transferred to my primary institution?

Yes. Even if you received transfer credit for courses taken at an institution, you still need to send an official transcript from the other institution. Grades and credit hours for transferred courses do not routinely appear on primary institution transcripts.

What is the deadline for transcripts?

All transcripts should be postmarked by the supplemental application deadline date usually set in January of each year, along with all the other requested information. Please realize that it can take weeks for registrars to process transcript requests, so please allow sufficient time to meet the deadline.

What if the transcript cannot be postmarked by the deadline?

You should contact the MED Program by telephone or email to inform us. Then you should submit unofficial copies the transcript(s) by the deadline. Please note that official transcripts are still required and should be submitted (by mail) as soon as possible. Delay in receiving your transcripts can delay review of your application.

Letters of Recommendation

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

Two academic letters of recommendation are required. At least one of your required letters of recommendation should be from a science professor who knows you academically/professionally, who is able to speak on your academic standing, and your ability/suitability to pursue a degree in medicine and dentistry. The best letters of recommendation are personal, and thus should come from people who you know well and that know you well. A third letter from a non-academic person can also be submitted for additional support.

What format should they submit the letters of recommendation?

A standard formal letter is appropriate. The letter should be uploaded to your application via you the upload link on your application homepage. It can be addressed to the “MED Program Admissions Committee.”

Financial Information

Do I need to submit financial documentation?

You are only required to submit financial documentation if you claim socioeconomic disadvantaged status. If you do not claim socioeconomic disadvantage status, you have the option to submit financial documentation if you deem it a necessary supplemental to your application.

What financial documentation should I submit?

The only acceptable forms of financial documentation are the Student Aid Report (SAR) compiled from your most current FAFSA application or IRS Tax Forms (not W-2 Forms). You should submit the most current financial documentation available.

– If you are an undergraduate/graduate student, who is claimed by their parents/guardian, then submit a copy of the most current year SAR and/or your parents/guardian tax forms (not W-2s)

– If you are an undergraduate/graduate student, who is not claimed by their parents/guardian, then submit a copy of the most current year SAR.

– If you not currently an undergraduate/graduate student and are working, who is not claimed by their parents/guardian, then submit a copy of your most current year IRS Income Tax Return forms (not W-2s).

What is the most current year financial information?

In order to most accurately assess economic disadvantaged status, the most current available financial information should be submitted. For example, if you are applying for the MED program for the summer of 2020, then the 2016-17 or 2018-19 SAR or 2018 or 2019 Tax Forms would be acceptable.

How do I know if I am independent or dependent?

You are considered independent if you were not or will not be claimed on anyone’s taxes. You are considered dependent if you were or will be claimed on another’s taxes.

What is a Student Aid Report (SAR)?

The SAR is a summary of the Federal Application for Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA applications are available online at are used to assess financial need. Do not send a copy of the FAFSA. Several days after submitting your FAFSA, you will be able to access a SAR, which should be mailed to our office.

What if I do not fill out the FAFSA?

If you are no longer in school, a copy of your 2018 or 2019 Income Tax Return will suffice for our records. If you are claimed as a dependent on your parent(s) taxes, you must also submit a copy of their income tax returns for 2018 or 2019.

Can I just indicate on my FAFSA that I want it to be sent to UNC-CH?

No. The Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity is a distinct office separate from the UNC undergraduate campus. Therefore, we will not receive documents sent to UNC-CH. Please mail the SAR directly to our office.

Supplemental Materials

Where should I send my transcripts?

UNC School of Medicine
Office of Scholastic Enrichment & Equity
c/o MED Program
333 South Columbia St.
041 MacNider Hall CB# 7530
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

Please remember to include your name on all materials submitted to the program.

Checking Status of the Materials

How do I check the status of received transcripts?

Our office staff will contact you if any materials are missing from your file as the application deadline nears.