We have established a shared email address for all travel related questions and requests. Please email MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu for all travel correspondence.
Faculty, Staff, and Postdocs
- Prior Authorization: Obtain pre-travel approval by submitting a Concur Request for all travel which includes airfare, lodging, and/or meal per diem. The established naming convention for all travel requests is: “Name of Location_Purpose of Travel” Example: Vanderbilt University_Invited Talk or Waynesboro Virginia_MAMP Conference
- Booking & Payment: Utilize the Concur Travel booking tool or contact the University’s Authorized Travel Agency to book airfare.
- T&E Card Account holders will make payment on their T&E Card. Non-T&E Card Account holders will utilize the University’s direct bill payment method. *Do not book any travel on a personal credit card and expect reimbursement.
- Conference Registration fees and Professional Business-Related Membership Dues may be paid on the T&E card. Non-T&E Card holders should contact MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu for use of the department P-Card. *Do not pay Dues or Registration on a personal credit card and expect reimbursement.
- Third-Party Vendors for lodging (e.g. Airbnb, VRBO) still require authorization. Please attach this completed form to the Concur request:
3. Reimbursement: Submit expense reports for approval in Concur Expense; reports may be submitted through the web-based version of Concur or through the Concur Mobile App.
Clarification: For now (8/3/2021), non T&E card holders will pay out of pocket for everything other than airfare and registration and be reimbursed.
- Prior Authorization: Obtain pre-travel approval by submitting a Pre-Authorization Request form to: MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu
2. Booking & Payment; Once itinerary is confirmed through pre-authorization, we will provide a “C#” so that you can book through World Travel. Authorized Travel Agency
- Conference Registration fees and Professional Business-Related Membership Dues should be paid on the department P-Card. Please email MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu for use of the department P-Card. *Do not pay Dues or Registration on a personal credit card and expect reimbursement.
- Third-Party Vendors for lodging (e.g. Airbnb, VRBO) still require authorization. If this applies to you, please send the completed form to MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu
3.Reimbursement: Submit reimbursement request and electronic copies of itemized receipts to MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu
- Reimbursement requests must be submitted within 30 days of trip return. Please forward electronic screenshots of receipts that are itemized and clearly show the date and method of payment.
- Travel Request: To host a guest or invite a recruit, please submit the completed request form and W9 to: MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu.
Reimbursement: For any business entertainment items not covered on a host’s T&E card, guests will submit a reimbursement request and electronic copies of itemized receipts to MITravelAdmin@med.unc.edu
Everyone To Know Before They Go
The University traveler is responsible for:
- Faculty and staff should familiarize themselves with how to access and utilize the Concur
- UNC-Chapel Hill travel spending policies.
- Travel status begin and end times, including times when a trip mixes business and personal activities.
- If there are any funding source or departmental restrictions.
- Any unapproved expenses will not be paid/reimbursed.
- Never to use university resources to pay for personal expenses.
- Keep costs to a minimum while meeting the traveler’s scheduling and business needs.
- Retain all expense receipts for reimbursement.
- Report allowable expenses and claim reimbursement in an ethical and responsible manner.
- Notify the unit/department business office of any unused University resources (i.e., unused prepaid airline tickets, excess travel advance funds).
- When traveling abroad, please review the UNC Global’s Preparing for International Travel Page and enroll in the Travel Health Insurance program.
- If traveler is hand carrying or shipping out of the country any research equipment, biological material or non-biological scientific samples, see Policy on Export Controls before proceeding.