- Division Chief and Professor – Memory and Cognitive Disorders
Clinical medicine is changing. We as physicians have learned that many chronic diseases are best cared for in a team environment, harnessing the expertise of multiple disciplines to provide a “360 degree” approach to caring for our patients. My plan is to integrate the multiple, excellent geriatric and dementia-focused clinicians and health care providers at UNC into a coherent and collaborative entity so that patients and their care partners have a “one-stop shop” to get evaluated and treated for disorders that affect their thinking and behavior (aka, dementia).
I also believe that an integral part of taking care of people whose disease doesn’t yet have a great treatment available is to bring them together with cutting-edge researchers and give them the opportunity to participate in research studies whose aim is to create better and more specific treatments for their condition. I work best as part of a team, and hope to bring team science and care to the art of medicine at UNC.
- Mild cognitive impairment, microvascular dementia, frontotemporal dementia, Lewy body disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and normal pressure hydrocephalus
Clinical Research Interests
- Better methods for distinguishing different types of dementia from each other using advanced neuroimaging as well as combining imaging with serum proteomic and metabolomic markers.
- Conducting clinical trials to develop the next generation of therapeutics for Alzheimer’s disease, and first generation treatments for microvascular and multi-factorial dementia.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- National Board of Medical Examiner
- Doctor of Medicine
SUNY Health Sciences Center at Brooklyn, School of Medicine, 1989-1993
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Neuroscience Concentration
Cornell University, 1983-1986
- Internship, Internal Medicine
Beth Israel Medical Center, 1993-1994
- Residency, Neurology
University of Michigan Medical Center, 1994-1997
- Fellowship in Cognitive Neuroscience
Departments of Neurology and Psychology, University of Michigan, 1997-1999
- Fellowship, Integrated Geriatric Program, Institute of Gerontology
University of Michigan Medical Center, 1999-2001