- Division Chief, General Neurology & Headache Disorders
- Associate Professor – General Neurology, Neuromuscular Disorders
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Clinic Director
My approach to clinical care is based on compassion, respect, and a team-based model. I work with wonderful and involved advanced practice providers and neurology residents with the objective of providing updated, evidence-based diagnostic and treatment advice. I strongly encourage patients to take a lead in their own care and consider them to be active members of our team. Questions about diagnostic and treatment strategies are essential for the success of our model.
Clinical and Research Interests
- General neurology, medical education, clinical neurophysiology, neuromuscular disorders, motor neuron disorders, medical ethics
- Diplomate in Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Diplomate in Clinical Neurophysiology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
University of Puerto Rico, 2006
- Internship in Internal Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University, 2007
- Residency and Chief Residency in Neurology
Boston University, 2010
- Fellowship in Clinical Neurophysiology
University of Rochester, 2011
- American Academy of Neurology Award for Creative Expression of Human Values in Neurology, 2014: “Neurology and the Humanities: The Ghost of Gehrig”. Neurology. 2013 Jan 80(2): 223-224.
- UNC Division of General Neurology
- UNC Division of Neuromuscular Disorders
- Patient Ratings (when available) – Physician satisfaction data is posted when a physician has received a minimum of 30 returned patient surveys within the last 12 months.
- Hospital Ethics Committee