- James F. Howard Jr. Distinguished Professor of Neuromuscular Diseases
- Chief, Division of Neuromuscular Disorders
- Vice Chair, Faculty Affairs
I strive to provide timely, patient-centered, highest quality medical care in a safe and equitable environment. Patient participation in decision-making and communications with all members of the healthcare team are essential in my practice. My combined training in internal medicine and over 30 years of practice in neurology, neuromuscular medicine, and neurophysiology (nerve conduction and EMG) places me in a unique position to provide comprehensive care to patients with neuromuscular disorders.
Diagnosis and management of neuromuscular disorders: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), motor neuron diseases, radiculopathies, brachial plexopathies, lumbosacral plexopathies, peripheral neuropathies including toxic neuropathies [such as chemotherapy-induced neuropathy (CIPN)] and immune-mediated neuropathies [such as Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS), chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy CIDP) and multifocal motor neuropathy (MMN)], myasthenia gravis, Lambert Eaton myasthenia syndrome, and inherited and inflammatory myopathies.
Procedures: Nerve conduction studies (NCS), electromyography (EMG, quantitative EMG, and single fiber EMG) and phrenic nerve-diaphragm evaluations.
Clinical Research Interests
Clinical trials in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), immune-mediated and chemotherapy-induced neuropathies, and myasthenia gravis.
Procedures: Motor unit counts, phrenic nerve and diaphragm recordings, single fiber electromyography (SFEMG), motor unit number index (MUNIX), and neuronal excitability studies.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology, 1989
- American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine, 1989
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology, 1992
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neuromuscular Medicine, 2006
Education and Training
- MD (MBBS, Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery)
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 1980
- MBA – Business of Medicine-Executive MBA
Johns Hopkins University, 2009
- Residency – Neurology
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 1984-1985
- Residency and Chief Residency – Neurology
University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, 1985-1987
- Clinical and Research Fellowship – Neuromuscular Diseases
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1987-1989