Tuberous Sclerosis Complex
Dr. Jamie K. Capal is a neurodevelopmental neurologist and is the director of the TSC Clinic. Dr. Capal sees both children and adults with TSC and works with providers across UNC to provide comprehensive multidisciplinary care.
In addition, Dr. Capal directs the TSC-Associated Neuropsychiatric Disorders (TAND) Clinic at the UNC Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities (CIDD), which is separate from the TSC Clinic but complementary. The goals of the TAND Clinic are to diagnose and manage TAND-related issues and give patients access to multidisciplinary services at the CIDD (neuropsychology, psychiatry, behavioral psychologists, speech-language pathologists, social work, special education). The TAND clinic also works closely with the Behavioral Medicine Clinic to assist in the management of treatment-refractory TAND behaviors. The TAND clinic utilizes the TAND checklist to facilitate diagnosis and ongoing monitoring of TAND symptoms. Dr. Capal is also a member of the international TAND Consortium
Our pediatric epilepsy surgery program led by Dr. Yang excels in the comprehensive management of intractable epilepsy and evaluations for epilepsy surgery. The UNC Epilepsy Center is designated as a Level 4 Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers. Our epilepsy specialists treat over 2,000 patients annually. We offer a full spectrum of diagnostic tools such as routine and ambulatory EEG; long-term video EEG monitoring in the state-of-the-art epilepsy monitoring unit; 1.5T and 3T MRI; research 7T MRI; PET-CT; hybrid simultaneous PET-MRI; Ictal/Interictal SPECT; WADA; functional MRI; functional cortical mapping; and neuropsychology, neuropsychiatric, and social evaluation.
TSC Pediatric Clinic
- Location: UNC Child Neurology Clinic at Carolina Pointe II in Chapel Hill
- Frequency: Fourth Friday of the month
- Appointments: call 984-974-7337
TSC Adult Clinic
- Location: UNC Adult Neurology Clinic at Meadowmont Village in Chapel Hill
- Frequency: First Thursday morning of the month
- Appointments: call 984-974-4401
TSC-Associated Neuropsychiatric Disorders (TAND) Clinic
- Clinic location: UNC Carolina Institute for Developmental Disabilities, 101 Renee Lynne Court, Carrboro NC 27510
- Frequency: Wednesday mornings; both virtual and in-person appointments are available
- TAND clinic scheduler: Twyla Peoples (p: 919-843-1529, f: 919-966-2230; email: email@example.com)