To Refer a Patient:
- Please fax a completed referral form, including specific referral question and records to 919-966-6501.
- Providers who have access to the UNC Referral Portal can submit a referral online.
- Please note, we currently do not offer consultative services for chronic pain management, low back pain, chronic headache, primary psychiatric disorders, chronic vertigo, TBI/PTSD or fibromyalgia. Referrals received for these reasons will be declined.
In order to avoid a delay of the referral process please be sure to answer all parts of the referral form, including the specific question (reason for consult), and include complete, accurate contact information for the patient. Please include insurance information if applicable.
New patient referral process:
- Referrals are reviewed for level urgency and if the referral reason is appropriate for Neurology to consult.
- Urgent referrals are processed the same day (if received by 2pm) or the next day (if received after 2pm). Patients are contacted within a day upon approval for an appointment in the Triage clinic if immediate consult is needed.
- Non-urgent referrals are processed in 3-5 business days.
- The approval process can take an additional 5 business days if it is more appropriate for one of our seven sub-specialty clinics versus General Neurology.
- If the referral is approved our schedulers will contact the patient directly for an appointment.
- If the referral is declined our schedulers will inform the referring provider via fax or the referral portal if applicable.
Providers with WebCIS access:
- Please note; all steps of the review process are documented in WebCIS under “Phone Messages”. Please refer to the patient’s phone message records for updates on the referral status including scheduling attempts or declined status.