Adult Patient Referrals
Who can make a referral:
We currently are accepting requests for new patient appointments from outpatient clinicians to whom we will send a report and recommend appropriate follow-up care with us or elsewhere. We are unable to accommodate self-referrals or referrals directly from emergency departments.
We provide subspecialty services in the following areas:
- Movement Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Transverse Myelitis
- Neuromuscular Disorders*
- Sleep Disorders
*If requesting procedure-only referral such as EMG, EEG, video EEG, VEP, SSEP, lumbar puncture, or sleep study, please fax your referral to (984) 974-1667.
Due to limited staffing, limited clinical space, and other considerations, we are currently unable to provide services for the following conditions: low back pain, primary psychiatric disorders, chronic vertigo, TBI/PTSD and fibromyalgia. Please see the “Provider Resources” section below for the contact information of specialists who may be able to provide you with expertise for these conditions.
If you are seeking a consult for a disorder not listed above, please submit a referral request and we will review our ability to provide you with assistance.
How to make a referral:
- In order to expedite the care of your patient, please provide the specific reason for the consult request and fully complete the referral form. Also, please include the patient’s current contact and insurance information.
- Providers who have access to UNC CareLink and select “Request an Account.” You may wish to download an overview of the referral portal or view a step-by-step guide. may submit a referral request online. If you would like to enroll,
- If you don’t have a UNC CareLink account, please fax a , including the specific referral question and pertinent records to (984) 974-2285. If you have any questions, please call (984) 974-4401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New patient referral process:
Referrals are first reviewed to determine the level of urgency and UNC’s ability to fulfill the consult request. We have streamlined our processing of urgent referrals to be completed within 48 hours of receipt should the referring provider/office contact our office to inform us of the reason for urgency. We ask that the referring provider be available to discuss the reason for urgent consideration with one of our reviewing physicians, as this will ensure proper triaging and timely scheduling when appropriate.
Non-urgent referrals are otherwise processed within three to five business days often by a clinician to ensure the patient receives the most appropriate care within our clinic. Our staff will contact the patient directly to schedule an appointment.
The UNC Hospitals Neurology Clinic is conveniently located just off of NC Highway 54 at 194 Finley Golf Course Road, Suite 200. The facility is easily accessible and offers free on-site parking for patients. More information >
The Pediatric Neurology Clinic is located within the Children’s Specialty Clinic on the ground floor of the North Carolina Children’s Hospital. More information >
The UNC Hospitals Sleep Laboratory is located within the UNC Hospital complex at 101 Manning Drive in Chapel Hill. More information >.
Low Back Pain – UNC Hospitals Imaging and Spine Center or UNC Hospitals Pain Management Center
- Spine Center – The Center prefers referrals to come electronically via UNC Carelink. Start the process by entering an Ambulatory Referral to the Spine Center. There is an option after this to specify a specialty if desired; the Center has spine specialists from PM&R, Ortho and Neurosurgery. If you do not have UNC CareLink, you may submit a referral by faxing (919) 966-9094 or by calling (984) 974-4200. Please note that referrals are not necessarily required.
- UNC Hospitals Pain Management Center – Submit referrals through UNC CareLink or fax a referral form to (984) 974-6793. For more information, call (984) 974-6688.
Fibromyalgia – UNC Hospitals Pain Management Center
Submit referrals through UNC CareLink or fax a referral form to (984) 974-6793. For more information, call (984) 974-6688.