Women in the Horizons Prenatal Care Program receive prenatal care, including ultrasounds, from the Horizons nurse midwife and perinatologist.
The Horizons Prenatal Clinics are held at the UNC Women’s Hospital. We will work with you to have a healthy baby by stopping or reducing your use of alcohol or drugs. Suboxone/Subutex is available for women using opiates.
Services also include:
- Delivery at UNC Hospitals or in your community.
- Six-week check-ups after delivery.
- Family planning and well woman gynecology.
- Consultation with a psychiatrist if desired.
- Meeting with a counselor at each medical visit.
In addition, a counselor talks one-on-one with the patient at every visit.
The Horizons’ counselor will:
- Meet with the patient during and after the pregnancy.
- Help the patient develop an individual treatment plan.
- Provide information about substance use during pregnancy and after the baby is born.
- Listen to the patient’s concerns and work with her toward solutions.
- Provide counseling for depression, anxiety, stress education and other issues.
- Refer interested patients to Horizons outpatient groups on treatment and recovery and parenting or to a residential program at Horizons or elsewhere in North Carolina.