Honors & Awards
- NC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center honored three clinical oncology fellows with $5,000 awards for their research accomplishments and clinical excellence. These first-ever awards were given to Daniel Higginson, MD, Autumn McRee, MD, and Emma Rossi, MD. The title of Dr. Rossi's study is Pelvic and para-aortic sentinel lymph node identification with robotically assisted near-infrared imaging after cervical and uterine Indocyanine Green injection."
- Three UNC OB/GYN doctors named in 'top regional doctors' list by Castle Connolly http://bit.ly/j2I5We. Gynecologic Oncology – Wesley Fowler, Linda Van Le and Obstetrics & Gynecology – Catherine Matthews
- Dr. Cris Munoz one of nine honored with UNC's Academy of Educators Teaching Excellence Award http://bit.ly/l8pmsX
- UNC Horizons Program
- Was awarded $10,000 from the Eschelman Foundation to fund a project where the OT/PT/Speech and Language therapists who work with the children in our program will meet weekly with the mothers as a group to share what early intervention services are about and can do for their children.
- Received an award in recognition of our work with the UNC School of Social Work Field Education Program.
At the Annual OB/GYN Graduation Banquet on June 18, 2011 at the DuBose House, the following awards were distributed.
Resident Teaching Award - Nell Johnson, MD
Awarded by the Third Year Medical Students to the resident who has demonstrated excellence in teaching with an emphasis on undergraduate medical education.
APGO Excellence in Teaching Award - Paola Gehrig, MD
Awarded by the Third Year Medical Students to the faculty member who has demonstrated excellence in teaching with an emphasis on undergraduate medical education.
Golden Tar Heel Recipients - Awarded by the Third Year Medical Students to the residents and faculty who scored at or above the 90th percentile on the end of clerkship resident evaluation.
PGY2 Excellence in Teaching Award - Jason Franasiak, MD & Jenna Gueth, MD
Awarded by the First Year Class to the Second Year Resident who has demonstrated excellence in teaching to the First Year Class.
Outstanding Clinical Care Award - Mamie McLean, MD
Awarded by Dr. John Steege to the graduating resident in Obstetrics and Gynecology who provided the most skillful, compassionate, and innovative care to women with chronic pelvic pain.
Esprit de Corps Award - Carmen Beamon, MD
Awarded by the Residents to the resident who represents the best of teamwork, spirit and pride.
Midwifery Chief Award - Logan Lechner, MD
Awarded by UNC Midwives to the graduating resident in Obstetrics and Gynecology who, by collaborating with families and the entire health care team to provide exceptional low-intervention birth experiences while respecting family preference, individual dignity and cultural differences, has most exemplified the midwifery model of care.
Fellow Teaching Award - Rabbie Hanna, MD
Awarded by the Residents to a Fellow in recognition of significant contributions to the educational mission in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
Droegemueller-Bowes Award - Jennifer Howell, MD
Awarded by the residents to a junor faculty member, who through excellence in teaching and commitment patient care best exemplifies the qualities of Dr. William Droegmueller and Dr. Watson Bowes.
Robert C. Cefalo Award - Honor Wolfe, MD
Awarded by the Residents to a faculty member who has promoted the high standards of residency education in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
CREOG Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education - Robert Strauss, MD
In recognition for the faculty person who has promoted the high standards of residency education in the field of obstetrics and gynecology.
Presentations - Listed by Meetings
36th Annual Meeting of the International Urogynecological Association (IUGA) in Lisbon, Portugal from June 28 – July 2, 2011.
- Dr. Matthews: Chair of Workshop w/ Speakers: Christopher Maher, MD, Elizabeth Geller, MD, and Michael Moen, MD.
Title of Workshop: Sacrocolpopexy: A Road Map for Success using Open, Laparoscopic, and Robotic Techniques.
- Oral Poster – Authors: E. J. Geller, MD, B.A. Parnell, MD., and G.C. Dunivan, MD.
Poster Title: Long-term outcomes after robotic versus abdominal sacrocolpopexy - pelvic floor support and function.
- Oral Poster – Authors: A.K. Crane, MD, E.J. Geller, MD, A.P. Woodward, MD, and C.A. Matthews, MD.
Poster Title: Stress urinary incontinence after robotic sacrocolpopexy with and without concomitant midurethral sling.
Presentations - Listed by Individuals
"The tapestry of chronic pelvic pain: hysteria vs hysterectomy"
Elisabeth Johnson, NP, PhDc
9th Congress of the National Association for the Promotion of Somatic Care in Mental Health in Paris, France from June 15-17, 2011.
"Urinary Incontinence: Not a Consequence of Aging"
Catherine Matthews, MD
UNC Women's Wellness Lecture at Meadowmont on June 15, 2011.
Eichelberger KY, Haeri S, Kessler DC, Swartz A, Herring A, Wolfe HM.
Placenta Previa in the Second Trimester: Sonographic and Clinical Factors Associated with Its Resolution.
Am J Perinatol. 2011 Jun 9. [Epub ahead of print]
Jordan S, Randall LM, Karamurzin Y, Ward P, Lin F, Brewster W, Monk BJ.
Differentiating squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix and epithelioid trophoblastic tumor.
Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2011 Jul;21(5):918-22.
What's an Obstetrician-Gynecologist to Do?
Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jun;117(6):1266-7. No abstract available.
From Twitter (Includes IN THE NEWS)
- IN THE NEWS: UNC OB/GYN Alum, Dr. Hal Lawrence, named EVP of ACOG http://bit.ly/lhp2Qf
- Thanks so much! @jo4joyfulbirth Hoping for a VBAC? The UNC midwives are a great option! http://t.co/C0uAd4q
- IN THE NEWS: KaiNexus Signs Beta License with UNC Health Care | PRLog http://t.co/y4srJyz
- IN THE NEWS: UNC Midwife Meg Berreth - Labor of Love...page 5 of The Carrboro Citizen's "Well" http://bit.ly/lJ0nPR www.UNCmidwives.org
- IN THE NEWS: 3 UNC OBGYN doctors named in 'top regional doctors' list by Castle Connolly http://bit.ly/j2I5We
- A Brand New Day....for Jo & Levi. They share their story...http://bit.ly/mxo88S
- IN THE NEWS: OB/GYN's Dr. Cris Munoz one of nine honored with UNC's Academy of Educators Teaching Excellence Award http://bit.ly/l8pmsX
- IN THE NEWS: Soc for Repro Endo & Infertility announces tribute to Dr. Mary Hammond http://bit.ly/iFXn3W
- @UNCNutrition Yes! The weight loss & fertility support is free of charge.
- We are still accepting participants for our weight loss & fertility support group. More info here http://bit.ly/hFzZHH
- More Information for You - Birth Control Pills and Blood Clots . We asked our experts about the latest FDA reviews http://bit.ly/kvP82l
- UNC study determines if long-term reports of pain & psychologic correlates of pain in women after vestibulectomy. http://bit.ly/jG88n3
- IN THE NEWS: Jordin Sparks meets with members of N.E.D. backstage at the USS Intrepid gig in New York, 6/1/11. http://fb.me/YlrhWORi
- Introducing the new N.E.D. website! | N.E.D. http://t.co/nexVMJG
- Contraceptive Update: CDC Med Eligibility Criteria for Women w/ Chronic Conditions http://t.co/SBvctoI UNC's Dr. Grimes serves as panelist