Applying to Our Program
Thank you for your interest in a PGY1 position with the OBGYN Residency Program in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina. We hope that in exploring our website, you will have many of your questions addressed. Below you will find answers to some FAQs. Our program participates in ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service). Your Dean’s office will inform you of the necessary steps and provide you with the information to prepare your application.
We do not require an additional written application. Three letters of recommendation are required in addition to the Medical Student Performance Evaluations (MSPE), also known as the Dean’s letter. One of these letters should be from the OB-GYN Chair or designee from your medical school. ERAS will accept up to four letters of recommendation.
Each year, our department receives approximately 1,200 applications. We offer roughly 70 interviews for the seven PGY1 positions in our program. Once we have received your completed ERAS file, your application will receive careful consideration regarding an interview invitation.
For additional information, you can contact our Residency Program Manager, Ty Fraga.
Thank you for your interest in UNC and for considering our program. We wish you the very best of luck during this exciting time in your clinical career and we hope to see you in Chapel Hill.
Jessica Morse, MD, MPH
Coryell Perez, MD
Associate Program Director
Omar Young, MD
Vice Chair of Education and Associate Program Director
- November 5, 2022
- November 19, 2022
- December 3, 2022
Will you be participating the ERAS Match?
Yes. The deadline for submission is October 1, 2022.
Do you mail out information about your program?
No, we encourage browsing our website to get the information you need.
What are the program’s screening criteria for consideration?
We have no minimum USMLE score requirements or grade requirements though more robust scores and grades do strengthen an application. The Selection Committee performs a holistic review of applications submitted through ERAS by the deadline.
The Program will follow the recommended standards for the Obstetrics and Gynecology residency application and virtual interview processes as described by The Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) and the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO). These recommendations include the following:
- Application deadline of 10/1/2022
- Interview offers released on 10/25/2022
- Interview offers limited to the number of interview spots
- Allow applicants minimum of 48 hours to respond to interview offers
- Interviews occur no earlier than 10/31/2022
- Notify applicants of final status (e.g. waitlist, rejection) by 12/2/2022
- Virtual interviews for all applicants
- One Standardized Letter of Evaluation (SLOE) may be included in applicants’ ERAS packages, however it is not required. The SLOE may replace one of the traditional letters of recommendation (LOR)
- Our speciality will be implementing Program Signaling.
- Our Program will participate in the Alignment Check Index (ACI) Pilot Program through the AMA FREIDA. Applicants will be able to enter certain information about their background,experiences and academics and receive a list of programsthat may align with the programs’ recruiting priorities.