The Preterm Birth Prevention Clinic offers support for clinicians caring for at-risk patients.
Please call us at 984-974-2131 to a refer a patient to the Preterm Birth Prevention Clinic.
We are here to help keep your patients and their babies safe! We are happy to see your patients during the preconception period and/or during their pregnancies. We are available for one-time consultations, co-management (which typically involves two-to-four visits at UNC’s N.C. Women’s Hospital), or complete transfer of care. In any case, we will follow up our consultations with detailed recommendations for you and your patient.
Common reasons for referral include, but are not limited to:
- history of one or more preterm deliveries 16-36 weeks gestation, including deliveries due to PPROM, placental abruption, spontaneous preterm labor, or cervical insufficiency
- questions regarding use of cervical pessary, placement of cervical cerclage, or use of progesterone supplementation in the current pregnancy
- evaluation and counseling between pregnancies for women who have recently had a preterm birth and may desire another pregnancy in the future
- assistance with management of acute symptoms of preterm labor or cervical insufficiency in the current pregnancy, including PPROM <24 weeks gestation, asymptomatic cervical shortening, prolapsing membranes, etc.
The Preterm Birth Prevention Clinic is typically held on Tuesday mornings, though consultations on other days can be arranged on an as needed basis.
Please have the following information available when calling to schedule an appointment for your patient:
- Full Name
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Phone Number
- Insurance Information
- Referring physician’s name and phone number
- UNC Hospitals patient number (if available)
- Due date (if currently pregnant)
We are always available for consultation and urgent evaluation (such as is often necessary in the case of premature/previable cervical dilation or cervical shortening) outside of regular clinic hours.
Please call the UNC Hospital Operator 984-974-1000 to page the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Physician on call if emergent consultation is needed.Link to Publications Contact Us
Preterm Birth Prevention Clinic • 101 Manning Drive • Chapel Hill, NC 27514