Reasons Babies Deliver Early
Learn more about preterm birth, why it happens, it’s influence on future pregnancies, and what it means for you.
Many times, we don’t know why a preterm birth happens.
Spontaneous Preterm Birth
A Spontaneous Preterm Birth can happen because:
- A woman’s body goes into labor early (preterm labor), or
- The bag of water breaks (preterm premature rupture of membranes, PPROM), or
- The cervix opens too early (cervical insufficiency)
Medically Indicated Preterm Birth
A Medically Indicated Preterm Birth is a delivery recommended by a healthcare provider to reduce the risk to a woman or her unborn child. Common reasons for medically indicated preterm birth include:
- Pregnancy related problems, such as preeclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy)
- Maternal medical problems, such as diabetes
- Fetal problems, such as poor growth
Prematurity Prevention Clinic • 101 Manning Drive • Chapel Hill, NC 27514