Before Your Surgery | Preparations
Below are your pre-operative instructions.
In order to obtain the time of your surgery, please call Pre-Care at 919-966-2273 between 1 & 3 pm on the day before surgery.
When you come the morning of surgery, come directly to the REGISTRATION AREA on the ground floor of the N.C. Women’s Hospital. Do NOT check-in or go anywhere else first.
Ten (10) days BEFORE Surgery, stop aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen if using these products. They can effect bleeding time.
The Night BEFORE Surgery
- If bowel prep has been prescribed, follow those directions carefully. (click to read)
- Do NOT eat any solid food after midnight. You may drink clear liquids (water, black coffee, apple juice, sodas (Sprite, Coke, etc.) up until 2 hours before your scheduled arrival time at UNC. The liquids are safe and actually helpful if doing a bowel prep. They keep you from getting too dehydrated and make IV access easier.
- Take a mild laxative the night before surgery such as 2 Tbsp. milk of magnesia or 2 Senekot tablets.
- Remove all fingernail polish and toenail polish.
- Take a complete bath (tub or shower) and shampoo your hair.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours before or after your operation. Alcohol may increase the depth of your anesthesia or the effect of the medicines which will be given to you.
The Day of Your Operation
- Do not apply any make-up: no eye make-up, face make-up or lipstick
- If you have long hair, braid it or secure it with a rubber band.
- All hairpins, hair clasps or combs must be removed.
- All dentures or bridges, contact lens and glasses must be removed before going into the Operating Room.
- Please do not wear any jewelry, earrings, rings, watches, medals, etc.
- Wear any kind of comfortable clothing, especially low heeled shoes.
In any event that your physical condition changes the night before surgery (for example, if you develop a cold, persistent cough, fever, flu, or an important change in the condition for which you are having the operation), please notify the OB-GYN Resident on call by calling the Main Hospital number, 984-974-1000, and asking for him or her.
If you have any questions or need to cancel your surgery, feel free to call us in the Pre-Care area on Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Phone: 919-966-2273.
A responsible adult, who drives, MUST accompany you in a car to the hospital and come up to the operating room with you. Due to our limited amount of space, we must ask that no more than (2) two people come with you. The drugs and/or anesthesia which you will receive will make it unsafe for you to drive a car for 24 hours, walk back to your home, or go home alone by public conveyance. If a responsible adult and transportation is not with you when you arrive at the hospital, your operation WILL NOT be performed.