The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ranks 4th in doctorates awarded in the life sciences and 10th in doctorates awarded to students from underrepresented groups.
UNC-CH is a leader in biomedical research and is ranked in the top 25 research institutions by the Faculty Scholarly Productivity Index. Dr. Oliver Smithies, Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, is a co-recipient of the 2007 Nobel Prize in Medicine.
IMSD graduate students entering through the Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program (BBSP) may join any of 14 nationally competitive PhD programs -- our Toxicology program is ranked 1st, Genetics program is ranked 6th, Pharmacology department is ranked 7th, Oral Biology, Biochemistry, and Biophysics programs are each ranked 9th, and we rank 5th overall in general biomedical sciences. To learn more about the BBSP program, click here.
IMSD graduate students can enter the biostatistics program which is ranked 6th nationwide by the US News and World Report’s Graduate School Rankings. To learn more about the School of Public Health Biostatistics program, click here.
- Research Centers
UNC-CH hosts numerous collaborative Research Centers of excellence in biomedical research and training where researchers with common interests work to translate discoveries that improve healthcare, education, and society.
- Alcohol Studies
- Gastrointestinal Biology & Disease
- Genome Sciences
- McAllister Heart Institute
- Aids Research
- Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Gene Therapy
- Neuroscience Center
- Arthritis Research
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Core Facilities
On-campus Core Facilities provide state-of-the-art technologies which are available for use by students and faculty throughout the university and operate on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Biomolecular NMR Lab
- DNA Sequencing and High Throughput Genotyping
- Electron Microscopy Facility
- Flow Cytometry
- Genomics Core & Microarray Facility
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Core Facility
- In Situ Hybridization Core Facility
- Macromolecular Interactions Facility
- Mass Spectrosopy Core
- Proteomics Core Facility
- Structural Bioinformatics Core
- X-Ray Crystallography Core
- Zebrafish Aquaculture Core Facility