Funding Application Process
UNC SOM Policy: To enroll in any global health elective or to travel in a student role, regardless of credit or funding support, every student is required to receive final OGHE approval by completing the SOM OGHE Pre-Departure requirements 8 weeks in advance. Faculty permission to enroll in a course does not deem your elective approved until OGHE confirms travel is permitted. Failure to receive OGHE approval will result in academic forfeiture of credit completed abroad, reimbursement of any SOM funding to support your global program, and put you at significant financial and medical risk should you travel without completing the OGHE requirements.
Students wishing to apply for the UNC Medical Student Global Health Scholarship must:
- Have a mentor identified for any research
- Have a SOM faculty identified as a course advisor if you plan to receive academic credit
- Prepare a proposal outlining the proposed program, the nature of your involvement, and educational objectives
- Complete a budget of expenses related to the proposal and travel as part of the online submission. (Sample online budget)
- ONLY UNC active/registered medical students in good academic standing may apply.
- Student Groups (HHA, PPS) are not eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- Students must submit proposals online using the online application system.
- Upload budget proposal form and provide budget information online
- Awards will be given to single applicants. Team/Group proposals are not eligible.
- If you are working with humans – YOU MUST APPLY FOR UNIVERSITY IRB APPROVAL! Consult the PI (even if you are just doing surveys)
- Students who receive awards are expected to submit a post-travel evaluation form within four weeks of their return date or credit, funding, and future funding is withdrawn.