Travel Health Insurance for Medical Students
Complete this form to register for the mandatory health insurance requirement for your outbound international travels while you are an active UNC medical student.THE FORM IS FOR SCHOOL OF MEDICINE STUDENTS AND FACULTY ONLY. IF YOU ARE A UNC RESIDENT PHYSICIAN, CLICK HERE
If you are not affiliated with the UNC School of Medicine, please contact the Study Abroad Office for more details.
Geo Blue Global Emergency Health Insurance is required for medical students if:
- You are traveling in a student role (regardless of academic credit or funding from UNC)
- For example: you are shadowing in a family friend’s health facility, or participating in research project, or confirmed in programs such as Himalayan Health Exchange, Child Family Health International, UNC Project Malawi or any other program where you are identified as a medical student
- You are participating on a language immersion program
- You are traveling to another country to attend or present at a conference
Policy rates for GeoBlue are as follows:
- Student Full Coverage = $1.45 per day
- Faculty/Staff Coverage for those leading student groups = $1.45 per day
If you are planning personal or vacation travel before or after yourUNC related travel dates, you have to purchase “before After coverage”. There is a maximum coverage of 30 days of health insurance. To enroll in this coverage, follow these instructions after you have purchased your UNC-related coverage.
If you are traveling for leisure (example: France for vacation), you are not eligible to get the UNC rate for Geo Blue’s plan, but you are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO PURCHASE COVERAGE. If you have an accident, it could be immensely expensive out of pocket. If you would like to purchase international health insurance for this travel, you can contact GeoBlue directly to get a quote on an individual policy. The costs will range between $50-$70 for a month. It is unwise to travel without health insurance. You can view rates and coverage at www.geobluetravelinsurance.com
Collect Calls from Outside the U.S.: +1-610-263-2841