Global Health Books and Movies
OGHE Global Health Resource Library
Our office has a wide array of global health books, documentaries, textbooks, and Spanish language study materials available for students and residents to checkout. You can access the materials in 1066 Bondurant Hall, and see a general list of titles here: (view PDF )
- Your Heart is the Size of Your Fist by Martina Scholtens
- my heart it is delicious: Setting the Course for Cross-Cultural Health Care by Biloine Whiting Young
- The Middle of Everywhere by Mary Pipher
- Seeking Refuge:On the Shores of the Global Refugee Crisis by Stephan Bauman, Matthew Soerens & Dr. Issam Smeir
- The New Odyssey: The Story of the Twenty-First Century Refugee Crisis by Patrick Kingsley
- The City of Thorns: Nine Lives in the World’s Largest Refugee Camp by Ben Rawlence
Recommended Movies and Documentaries
- Forced From Home VR Documentaries – 360 degree video and VR documentaries to deepen an understanding of the global refugee crisis. These immersive videos detail the stories of displaced people forced to flee their homes and communities around the world.
- TIME: Finding Home – Since September 2016, TIME has been following three Syrian refugees as they prepared to give birth and raise a child in a foreign land. This year-long multimedia project brings you their stories.
- The Good Lie (2014) – A group of Sudanese refugees, given the chance to resettle in the U.S., arrive in Kansas City, Missouri, where their encounter with an employment agency counselor forever changes all of their lives.
- Fire at Sea (2016) – Capturing life on the Italian island of Lampedusa, a frontline in the European migrant crisis.
- Salam Neighbor (2015) – Two filmmakers fully embed themselves in a Syrian refugee camp, providing an intimate look at the world’s most dire humanitarian crisis.
- La Juala de Oro/The Golden Dream (2013) – A road movie about teenage immigrants and their journey to the U.S.
- Pushing the Elephant (2010) – A mother and daughter reunite after being separated during civil war in the Congo.
- The Sun Behind the Moon (2001) – After an Afghanistan-born woman who lives in Canada receives a letter from her suicidal sister, she takes a perilous journey through Afghanistan to try to find her.
- The Land Between (2013) – The hidden lives of Sub-Saharan African migrants living in the mountains of northern Morocco.
- Bending the Arc (2017) – The extraordinary doctors and activists whose work 30 years ago to save lives in a rural Haitian village grew into a global battle in the halls of power for the right to health for all.