OIA Global Health Scholars Program
This competitive, two-year, multi-disciplinary GHSP will provide funding to support the career and leadership development of residents with a strong interest in global health. UNC Global Health Scholars will be enrolled in a structured program supported through a partnership of the OIA, Office of GME, and the residents’ home clinical departments. The UNC Global Health Scholars Program will leverage the extensive global health resources, opportunities, and UNC faculty expertise to shape a competitive GHSP for our resident physicians.
The UNC Global Health Scholars Program is designed to be flexible so that each graduating resident or fellow will attain the individualized knowledge and skills relevant to their future careers in global health. Each selected scholar will receive up to $8,000 total, to be dispersed in two annual installments, as program requirements are met. Funds are designated to support international travel, national conference attendance and/or scholarly presentations, and formal coursework or professional development opportunities in global health. Scholars will also be able to apply for additional funds via OIA resident global health scholarships, though these are not guaranteed.
Global Health Scholars must meet the following program requirements:
- Complete at least 8 weeks of global health-related electives. At least 4 weeks should be performed internationally and 8 weeks is strongly encouraged, with preference to already established UNC sites (e.g. Malawi, Zambia, Nicaragua). Other electives may include: migrant and/or refugee health, other underserved populations, focused reading or research elective in global health, or reading and/or project work -related to global health while on a regular UNC rotation (e.g. administrative month).
- Participate in existing UNC global health educational activities (e.g., OIA-sponsored Global Health Forum, journal clubs, noon conferences, departmental grand rounds and lectures, and other related seminars) and LEAD at least one structured global health activity.
- Complete a global health-related scholarly project of publishable and/or presentable quality
- Demonstrate that they are receiving global health mentorship through the resident’s home clinical department and the OIA.
- Global Health Scholars are encouraged to complete formal global health-related coursework or certification, Options include (but are not limited to):
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene online Certificate in Knowledge in Clinical Tropical Medicine and Travelers Health (US-based, requires a 2-4 week course at multiple sites or one on-line course is available through WVU approximately $4700 and exam $500. Participants can receive certification if they pass exam and document experience of at least two months in a tropical setting. Access certificate here.
- Health Emergencies in Large Populations (HELP) International Red Cross online course for health professionals for service in complex humanitarian emergencies three week course, offered every other year in Baltimore, cost of approx. $2000 www.icrc.org
- London School of Tropical Health and Hygiene – short courses – individual distance modules can all be completed on line – £6775 per course
- Harvard Summer Global Health Delivery Institute – training in programming and policy making online access – approximately $8000.
- University of Minnesota global health modules – Prices vary depending on # of modules. These modules can be used toward the pre-requisite requirements for the ASTMH Certificate.
- Unite for Sight Global Health online Certificate through Yale University -approximate cost $100.
- Free options include:
- The Pactitioner’s Guide to Global Health: Learn how to safely and efectively participate in global health rotations and projects. Access online modules here.
- USAID e-learning courses.
- Unite for Sight online modules
- Johns Hopkins University Ethics and Open Global Health Courseware Modules and more
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health on-line modules
- I-TECH/University of Washington Clinical Education online modules
- World Bank On-Line Modules on Sustainable Development
- University of Copenhagen Coursewara online Modules