To help reduce the increasing number of spam mail messages coming into our email system and to ensure SMTP authentication, we have changed the address used to configure email programs to send mail through UNC SOM's SMTP servers. If you want to configure your email program to use smtp.med.unc.edu to relay mail, you must change the SMTP port setting to 587.
This applies to any user, on or off the medical school campus, who wants to use smtp.med.unc.edu as their outgoing SMTP host.
Below are instructions on how to change the SMTP server and port settings on email clients supported by OIS. These instructions assume that you have previously configured the email clients below to work with UNC SOM's e-mail system. If you have not already configured your email client, instructions are available here.
(Applicable to Thunderbird versions 1.5 and above)
- Open Thunderbird.
- Select Tools from the menu, then select "Account Settings...". The Account Settings window should appear.
- In the white rectangular area at the left, at the bottom of the listed items, click Outgoing Server (SMTP).
The Outgoing Server (SMTP) Settings will appear on the top right of the window. The default SMTP server should be smtp.med.unc.edu. Click the entry for smtp.med.unc.edu one time to select, then click Edit to edit the entry. Enter/check the following:
- Description: This field is optional.
- Server Name: smtp.med.unc.edu
- Port: 587
- Check the box titled "Use name and password"
- User Name: your somid
- Click "TLS, if available"
- Click OK to close the SMTP Server window.
Click OK to close the Account Settings window.
- Open Mozilla Mail.
- Select "Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings... " from the Edit menu. The Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings window should appear.
- Click "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" in the white box at the left.
- In the "Port" field, type in 587 .
- Check "Use name and password"
- Enter your SOMID in the User Name field
- Under "Use secure connection (SSL), select "When Available"
Click OK to close the Mail and Newsgroup Account Settings window.
Microsoft Outlook 2003, XP, 2000
- From the Start menu, select Settings > Control Panel > Mail . A new window should appear.
- Perform these steps only if you are using Outlook 2002:
- Click the "E-mail Accounts" button.
- Click the "View or change existing e-mail accounts" radio button.
- Click the "Next" button.
- Highlight the entry corresponding to "imap.unc.edu" by clicking on it.
- Click the "Change" or "Properties" button. The "imap.unc.edu" window should appear.
- Click More Settings
- Under the Advanced tab, type in 587 in the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" field.
If you are using Windows XP:
- Click the Finish button to close the "E-mail Accounts" window.
- Click "Close" to close the "Mail Setup - Outlook" window."