The Classroom Support team supports videoconferencing in some locations, but it is not available in all rooms. If you would like the option for people to remotely attend your meetings or presentations where videoconferencing is not available, we recommend using Microsoft Lync. Microsoft Lync is similar to Skype, but is more secure and allows you more flexibility in features.
People you invite to Microsoft Lync meetings can either use the full Lync software (if they are university affiliates with ONYENs) or a browser-based application. The browser-based application allows guests from outside of the university to connect without an ONYEN, and has most of the functionality of the full application, including audio/video sharing and desktop sharing.
For more general information on Lync, visit the product page on the Microsoft website.
Lync has many features for conducting a meeting online. Some of the most typical used include:
- Audio and Video broadcast
- To broadcast audio and or video, you will require a microphone and/or web camera. We have limited resources to provide for this. Please consult with us in advance if you want to do this so that we can find a solution for you.
- Instant Messaging
- Desktop Sharing
- Desktop sharing also allows remote control
- Live polling
- File Sharing
- Interactive Online Whiteboard
Resources for Setting Up Lync
Setting up a Lync meeting is relatively simple, but it is highly recommended that you indicate this in your room reservation, and contact Classroom Support in advance so that they can provide you with the appropriate resources such as a microphone for sharing audio. If you have your own resources and would like to setup your own Lync meeting, you can also use the resources below to guide you.
- Using Microsoft Lync in an OIS Classroom - A guide on how to use the Microsoft Lync software from one of our classrooms.
- Using the Microsoft Lync Web App - A guide on how remote participants may view and hear your presentation using the browser plugin.
- Requirements for Using the Lync Web App - A guide on the requirements for accessing Lync meetings via Browser.