How do I apply for Financial Aid?

To be considered for financial aid, including need-based scholarships and loans, students should submit the current year Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the address indicated on the form. You must also complete the "Parental Section" of the FAFSA for consideration of the need-based scholarships. The UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine must be indicated on the form as the institution to receive the FAFSA. All sections must be completed for a student to be considered for any University and federal funds. An incomplete form delays the application and reduces the chances for receiving financial aid promptly.

You may obtain a FAFSA application by writing to the UNC School of Medicine Office of Financial Services, CB #9535, 1001 Bondurant Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-9535, or calling (919) 962-6118, or you may complete one on line at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

When is the FAFSA priority deadline?

Students must understand that priority for financial aid is given to those who submit the FAFSA form for processing by no later than March 1st, the priority processing deadline. Because financial aid funds are limited, the most beneficial types of aid are awarded to students who meet the preference deadline. Applications are accepted after March 1 but are considered only as time and resources permit.

The FAFSA form asks for information about an individual's personal and family financial circumstances. Because the form refers to questions on the federal tax return, students should complete tax forms before filing the FAFSA form. If a student must delay completion of tax returns, she or he should provide estimated tax data on the FAFSA form in order to meet the March 1 deadline. Students should keep a careful record of the dates that they submit forms and make photocopies of all information requested in their application for financial aid.

Are scholarships available?

A small number of scholarships are awarded to students some are based on need, and some on merit. No special application is required for consideration. You can find more information here.

What is a loan servicer, and how do I find mine?

A loan servicer is a company that handles the billing and other services on your federal student loan.  Your loan is assigned to a loan servicer by the U.S. Department of Education after your loan amount is first disbursed (paid out).  Your servicer should contact you directly after your funds are disbursed, but if you're still unsure you can find out who your loan servicer is by following the directions here.

Loan Applications

If a Stafford Loan is included as part of the financial aid award, the Financial Aid Office prepares an application form and refers a student to a lender, Medloans. Students who have had previous Stafford Loans or SLS through a lender other than Medloans or who prefer to use a different lender must bring this information to the attention of the Financial Aid Office.

Financing Options

The Financial Aid Office informs as quickly as possible students who are not eligible for financial assistance from funds awarded by the office. These students are supplied information about other sources of financial support and suggestions for ways to meet UNC-Chapel Hill expenses.

For further information about financial aid and financing options contact the Financial Aid Office, School of Medicine, CB #9535, 1001 Bondurant Hall, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, N.C. 27599-9535. Telephone (919) 962-6118.