UNC SOM faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to pursue research and publish their work in peer reviewed journals. A small number of journals with high reputations ask for money to support publication. This is different from predatory journals that do not significantly contribute to the academic community.
Students’ research mentors and faculty’s departments are expected to provide support to allow funds to help with publication. In the event that they do not have resources to cover their expenses, students and faculty may request assistance from the Office of Educational Affairs. Staff interested in receiving support for publication should talk with their supervisors
Points to keep in mind:
- The research must have been conducted while at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.
- You must be enrolled or employed at UNC at the time of the conference.
- You must be the lead author
- You must show evidence that you submitted to a journal that does not have publication charges and were rejected
- Alternative funding mechanisms such as the department with which your research was done, the PI for grant support must be explored prior to requesting this awards
- Completed application must be submitted.
Complete the application and attach accompanying documents.
The completed application and accompanying documentation needs to be emailed to Dr. Kurt Gilliland.
A selection committee will review all student applications. The committee will not review applications that do not meet the criteria above.