COVID-19: Research Preparedness
In an attempt to help our research community navigate the evolving effect of COVID-19 on UNC-Chapel Hill research operations, below is a list of resources from both federal institutions and UNC-Chapel Hill. This site will be updated regularly. General information about COVID-19 can be found on the CDC COVID-19 website and on the FDA COVID-19 preparedness website.
The UNC Office of Research Development also has a website for COVID-19 Funding Opportunities that is being updated regularly.
COGR Costing and Financial Compliance FAQs (April 9, 2020)
Office of Management and Budget Memorandum M-20-17: Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by COVID-19 due to Loss of Operations (March 19, 2020).
Office of Management and Budget M-20-20: Repurposing Existing Federal Financial Assistance Programs and Awards to Support the Emergency Response to COVID-19 (April 9, 2020)
Institutional and Agency Responses to COVID-19 and Additional Resources: COGR Lists relevant notices from various institutions. Below are quick links to some notices from the NIH, NSF and DOE that may be of particular interest to our SOM faculty:
- NIH Resources for COVID-19 Surveys and Publications– May 20; This announcement describes a repository that has curated articles from PubMed COVID-19 articles and a platform to help standardize COVID-19 related survey items and investigator contact information.
- Notice Announcing the Availability of Common Data Elements for Research Related to the Public Health Emergency caused by Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- COVID-19: Information for NIH Applicants and Recipients of NIH Funding: NIH guidance to be updated regularly
- NIAID Late Application Policy for NIAID-Specific FOAs with Due Dates in July and August 2020 – July 19, 2020
- Special Exception to the NIH/AHRQ/NIOSH Post-Submission Material Policy During the COVID-19 Pandemic (NOT-OD-20-123) – June 9, 2020
- Rescinding NOT-HG-20-041 “NHGRI Late Application Policy for NHGRI-Specific FOAs with Application Due Dates in May, June, and July” and Clarifying the Late Application Receipt Dates of NHGRI-Specific FOAs
- NIA Late Application Policy for NIA-Specific FOAs with Application Due Dates in May, June, and July 2020 – May 14, 2020
- NIH Late Application Policy for Institutional Training Grants to PA-20-142 and PA-20-162 Due to COVID-19 – May 11, 2020
- Late Application Policy for May 25, 2020 Application due date of NCI’s Cancer Research Education Grant Program (R25) Funding Opportunity Announcements PAR-18-476, PAR-18-477, and PAR-18-478 due to COVID-19
- NIH COVID-19 “Updates History” webpage for applicants and grantees – April 11, 2020
- Open Mike Letter from Dr. Michael Lauer: Discusses differences between Emergency Competitive Revisions and Urgent Competitive Revisions used by the NIH to provide COVID-19 research resources (April 13, 2020)
- NIH published an overview Word document and overview presentation providing information for NIH applicants and grantees related to COVID-19 and research activities (April 11, 2020)
- Guidance for Cost-Related Flexibilities Available to Support of Competitive Research (SCORE) Award Recipients Affected by COVID-19: NOT-GM-20-026 (April 9, 2020)
- COVID-19 Pandemic Contingency Planning for Animal Care and Use Programs: Lists resources from the NIH Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare to assist animal care to maintain animal welfare (April 2, 2020)
- Updated Late Application Policy Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for COVID-19: NOT-OD-20-091 (March 26, 2020)
- Flexibilities Available to AHRQ Recipients and Applicants Directly Impacted by COVID-19 Due to Loss of Operations: NOT-HS-20-010 (April 6, 2020)
- Flexibilities for Assured Institutions for Activities of Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs) Due to COVID-19: NOT-OD-20-088 (March 16, 2020)
- Notice of Special Interest: Availability of Administrative Supplements and Urgent Competitive Revisions for Research on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus: NOT-DA-20-047 (March 19, 2020)
- Notice of Special Interest: Availability of Administrative Supplements and Revision Supplements on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): NOT-HL-20-757 (March 17, 2020)
- Guidance for NIH-funded Clinical Trials and Human Subjects Studies Affected by COVID-19: NOT-OD-20-087 (March 16, 2020)
- Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19: NOT-OD-29-086 (March 12, 2020)
- FAQs about Proposed Submission and Award Management Related to COVID-19: NOT-OD-20-083 (March 10, 2020)
- Notice of Change in Application Due Date for PAR-19-215 Due to COVID-19 – May 21
- Notice of Change: Late Application Policy for June 17, 2020, Application Due Date of PAR-19-242, Paul Calabresi Career Development Awards for Clinical Oncology Due to COVID-19 – May 21
- NICHD Late Application Policy for Institutional Training Grants to RFA-HD-21-014 Due to Public Health Emergency for COVID-19 – May 21
- NSF information concerning COVID-19: Lists NSF announcements to be updated regularly
- Impact on Existing Deadline Dates: Lists changes to deadlines of specific RFAs (April 24, 2020)
- FAQs About COVID-19 for National Science Foundation Proposers and Awardees: Updated April 2, 2020
- Dear Colleague Letter: Provisioning Advanced Cyberinfrastrucutre to Further Research on COVID-ID: NSF 20-055 (March 5, 2020)
- Letter to Biological Sciences Community: (March 26, 2020)
- FAQ for DOD Research Proposers and Awardees Impacted by COVID-19: Updated March 20, 2020
- DOD Terms and Conditions for COVID-19 Waivers: Effective March 19, 2020
- Accommodating Interruptions from COVID-19: Memorandum for Applicants and Awardees (March 13, 2020)
- DOE Letter Addressing COVID-19: From the Office of the Director (March 12, 2020)
- FDA – Flexibilities Available to Applicants and Recipients of Federal Financial Assistance Affected by COVID-19: Flexibilities applicable to FDA applicants and recipients where the entity is conducting FDA grant funded activities related to or affected by COVID-19. (March 26, 2020)
- Guidance on Conduct of Clinical Trials of Medical Products during COVID-19 Pandemic: Guidance for industry, investigators, and institutional review boards (Updated March 27, 2020)
Office of Management and Budget Memorandum: Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by COVID-19 (March 9, 2020)
USAID COVID-19 Partner Guidance: Information from the Office of Acquisition and Assistance in the Bureau for Management of the USAID
Message from the Administration for Children and Families: Discusses available short-term relief for administrative, financial management, and audit requirements.
UNC-Chapel Hill Internal Guidance
The impact of COVID-19 on research throughout UNC is rapidly evolving. Below are recent notices and policies related to research at UNC-Chapel Hill
The Office of Vice Chancellor for Research Responds to COVID-19: Information about the state of research at UNC during the COVID-I9 outbreak. – Updated March 26, 2020
- FAQ regarding this new policy can be found on the Office of Clinical Trials website here.
UNC-Chapel Hill COVID-19 Resource Website: This resource includes up-to-date important information about the effect of COVID-19 on University operations and North Carolina.
Mental Health / Emotional Support Resources for Co-workers, Providers, and Scientists: This website has information and resources to help our community practice self-care and find support.