Craig R. Louer Jr, MD
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
UNC Orthopaedics (Ambulatory Care Center)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Phone: (919) 962-6637
Phone: (919) 843-3378
Fax: (919) 966-6730
- BS (Cum Laude): University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MD (Dean’s Merit Scholar): Duke University School of Medicine
- Residency: Washington University in St. Louis
- Fellowship: Rady Children’s Hospital – University of California, San Diego
- Management of spine conditions and deformities, including scoliosis, kyphosis, and spondylolisthesis using surgical techniques such as spinal fusion, growth modulation (vertebral tethering), thorascopy, and growing rods.
- Management of lower-extremity conditions including hip dysplasia, SCFE, clubfeet, leg length discrepancy, angular deformities, Blount’s disease and neuromuscular disease.
- Dr. Louer is active in research on spinal deformity as well as hip conditions such as developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH), slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE), and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI).
- He has published previously on pediatric trauma, as well as training topics for orthopaedic education.
|2018 – current||Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery|
- Lena Sefton Clark Award. Rady Children’s Hospital award for excellence in research.
- Resident Research Award. Washington University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
- First Place. Orthopedic Research and Education Fund Symposium, St. Louis
- Best Poster in Non-Arthroplasty Category. American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2016
- Thomas Jefferson Graduate Award. Duke University School of Medicine.
- Edmund James Scholar. University of Illinois.
(see entire list available at PubMed)
- Louer CR, Pashos G, Clohisy JC, Nepple JJ. 2018. A Prospective Analysis of the Contralateral Hip Among Patients With Femoroacetabular Impingement: What Are the Risk Factors for Disease Progression? Am J Sports Med. 1:363546518786246. (Epub ahead of print) PMID: 30015502
- Hosseinzadeh P, Louer CR, Sawyer JR, Flynn JM, Albanese SA. 2018. Subspecialty training among graduates of pediatric orthopedic fellowship: an 11-year analysis of database of American board of orthopedic surgery. J Pediatr Orthop. 38(5): 293-296. PMID: 29509607
- Louer CR, Nassif NA, Brodt MD, Leib DJ, Silva MJ, McDonald DJ. 2016. Mechanical comparison of iliosacral reconstruction techniques after sarcoma resection. Clini Biomech. 38:35-41.
- Louer CR, Boone SL, Guthrie AK, Motley JR, Calfee RP, Wall LB. 2016. Postural stability in older adults with a distal radial fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 98(14):1176-82.
- Louer CR, Calfee RP. 2015. Recognition and fixation of crista supinatoris fracture in monteggia injuries. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 19(2):84-7.
- Louer CR, Garcia RM, Earle SA, Hollenbeck ST, Erdmann D, Levin LS. 2015. Free flap reconstruction of the knee: an outcome study of 34 cases. Ann Plast Surg. 75(1):57-63.
- Diekman BO, Wu CL, Louer CR, Furman BD, Huebner JL, Kraus VB, Olson SA, Guilak F. 2013. Intra-articular delivery of purified mesenchymal stem cells from C57BL/6 or MRL/MpJ superhealer mice prevents posttraumatic arthritis. Cell Transplant. 22(8):1395-408.
- Louer CR, Furman BD, Huebner JL, Kraus VB, Olson SA, Guilak F. 2012. Diet-induced obesity significantly increases the severity of posttraumatic arthritis in mice. Arthritis Rheum. 64(10):3220-30.
- Louer CR, Cross M, Bartley C, Bastrom T, Upasani VV, Newton PO, Yaszay B, & the Harms Study Group. 10-year Outcomes of Selective Fusions for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Rady Children’s Hospital Grand Rounds. San Diego, CA. June 22, 2018.
- Louer CR, Meyer Z, Schoenecker PL, Gordon JE, Nepple JJ. Avascular Necrosis Following Operative Treatment of Unstable Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: Fifteen-Year Experience with Positional or Open Reduction. POSNA 2018 Annual Meeting. Austin, TX. May 11, 2018.
- Louer CR, Clohisy JC, Nepple JN. What are the Risk Factors for Disease Progression in Femoroacetabular Impingement? A Prospective Analysis of the Contralateral Hip in FAI Patients. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. March 15, 2017.
- Louer CR, Wall LB, Gordon JE, Hosseinzadeh, P. POSNA Scientific Exhibit: Pearls and Pitfalls of Flexible Nails Used in Pediatric Trauma. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. March 14-18, 2017.
- Louer CR, Boone SL, Guthrie AK, Motley JR, Calfee RP, Wall LB. Postural Stability in Older Adults with a Distal Radial Fracture. Annual Meeting of American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH). Seattle, WA. September 9-12, 2015.
- Louer CR, Furman BD, Huebner JL, Kraus VB, Olson SA, Guilak F. Diet-Induced Obesity Significantly Increases the Severity of Posttraumatic Arthritis in Mice. Orthopaedic Research Society National Meeting. San Francisco, CA. February 4-7 2012.