Craig R. Louer Jr, MD
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
UNC Orthopaedics (Ambulatory Care Center)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
UNC Hospitals Children’s Specialty Services at Raleigh
2801 Blue Ridge Road
First and Second Floor
Raleigh, NC 27607
Phone: (919) 962-6637
Phone: (919) 843-3378
Fax: (919) 966-6730
- BS (Cum Laude): University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- MD (Dean’s Merit Scholar): Duke University School of Medicine
- Residency: Washington University in St. Louis
- Fellowship: Rady Children’s Hospital – University of California, San Diego
- Management of spine conditions and deformities, including scoliosis, kyphosis, and spondylolisthesis using surgical techniques such as spinal fusion, growth modulation (vertebral tethering), thorascopy, and growing rods.
- Management of lower-extremity conditions including hip dysplasia, SCFE, clubfeet, leg length discrepancy, angular deformities, Blount’s disease and neuromuscular disease.
- Dr. Louer is active in research on spinal deformity as well as hip conditions such as developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH), slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE), and femoroacetabular impingement (FAI).
- He has published previously on pediatric trauma, as well as training topics for orthopaedic education.
|2018 – current||Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery|
- Lena Sefton Clark Award. Rady Children’s Hospital award for excellence in research.
- Resident Research Award. Washington University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
- First Place. Orthopedic Research and Education Fund Symposium, St. Louis
- Best Poster in Non-Arthroplasty Category. American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting, 2016
- Thomas Jefferson Graduate Award. Duke University School of Medicine.
- Edmund James Scholar. University of Illinois.
(see entire list available at PubMed)
- Louer CR, Pashos G, Clohisy JC, Nepple JJ. 2018. A Prospective Analysis of the Contralateral Hip Among Patients With Femoroacetabular Impingement: What Are the Risk Factors for Disease Progression? Am J Sports Med. 1:363546518786246. (Epub ahead of print) PMID: 30015502
- Hosseinzadeh P, Louer CR, Sawyer JR, Flynn JM, Albanese SA. 2018. Subspecialty training among graduates of pediatric orthopedic fellowship: an 11-year analysis of database of American board of orthopedic surgery. J Pediatr Orthop. 38(5): 293-296. PMID: 29509607
- Louer CR, Nassif NA, Brodt MD, Leib DJ, Silva MJ, McDonald DJ. 2016. Mechanical comparison of iliosacral reconstruction techniques after sarcoma resection. Clini Biomech. 38:35-41.
- Louer CR, Boone SL, Guthrie AK, Motley JR, Calfee RP, Wall LB. 2016. Postural stability in older adults with a distal radial fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 98(14):1176-82.
- Louer CR, Calfee RP. 2015. Recognition and fixation of crista supinatoris fracture in monteggia injuries. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 19(2):84-7.
- Louer CR, Garcia RM, Earle SA, Hollenbeck ST, Erdmann D, Levin LS. 2015. Free flap reconstruction of the knee: an outcome study of 34 cases. Ann Plast Surg. 75(1):57-63.
- Diekman BO, Wu CL, Louer CR, Furman BD, Huebner JL, Kraus VB, Olson SA, Guilak F. 2013. Intra-articular delivery of purified mesenchymal stem cells from C57BL/6 or MRL/MpJ superhealer mice prevents posttraumatic arthritis. Cell Transplant. 22(8):1395-408.
- Louer CR, Furman BD, Huebner JL, Kraus VB, Olson SA, Guilak F. 2012. Diet-induced obesity significantly increases the severity of posttraumatic arthritis in mice. Arthritis Rheum. 64(10):3220-30.
- Louer CR, Cross M, Bartley C, Bastrom T, Upasani VV, Newton PO, Yaszay B, & the Harms Study Group. 10-year Outcomes of Selective Fusions for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis. Rady Children’s Hospital Grand Rounds. San Diego, CA. June 22, 2018.
- Louer CR, Meyer Z, Schoenecker PL, Gordon JE, Nepple JJ. Avascular Necrosis Following Operative Treatment of Unstable Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis: Fifteen-Year Experience with Positional or Open Reduction. POSNA 2018 Annual Meeting. Austin, TX. May 11, 2018.
- Louer CR, Clohisy JC, Nepple JN. What are the Risk Factors for Disease Progression in Femoroacetabular Impingement? A Prospective Analysis of the Contralateral Hip in FAI Patients. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. March 15, 2017.
- Louer CR, Wall LB, Gordon JE, Hosseinzadeh, P. POSNA Scientific Exhibit: Pearls and Pitfalls of Flexible Nails Used in Pediatric Trauma. AAOS Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. March 14-18, 2017.
- Louer CR, Boone SL, Guthrie AK, Motley JR, Calfee RP, Wall LB. Postural Stability in Older Adults with a Distal Radial Fracture. Annual Meeting of American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH). Seattle, WA. September 9-12, 2015.
- Louer CR, Furman BD, Huebner JL, Kraus VB, Olson SA, Guilak F. Diet-Induced Obesity Significantly Increases the Severity of Posttraumatic Arthritis in Mice. Orthopaedic Research Society National Meeting. San Francisco, CA. February 4-7 2012.