Professor of Orthopaedics
Foot & Ankle
UNC Orthopaedics (Ambulatory Care Center)
102 Mason Farm Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Phone: (984) 974-5700
Referral Fax: (919) 966-7956
Phone: (919) 843-3380
Fax: (919) 843-3380
- BA: Temple University
- MD: Temple University Medical School
- Residency: Albert Einstein Medical Center
- Fellowship: AONA – Association for Study of Internal Fixation – Germany
- Musculoskeletal trauma
- Post-traumatic reconstruction
- Nonunions, malunions
- Foot & ankle surgery
|2012-present||Professor of Orthopaedics, UNC School of Medicine|
- Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America as selected by Woodward and White from 1998 – present
- Best Ortho Traumatologist in North America, 2015
- Frank Wilson Faculty Teaching Award, 2014
- The States’ Best Doctors, 2012
- Selected “Top Doctors” in Philadelphia Magazine, 2011
- Selected “Top Doctors” in New Jersey Monthly 2009, 2010, 2011
- Selected “Top Doctors” in South Jersey Magazine 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011
- Highlighted paper selected by the program committee at the 2010 OTA Annual Meeting. “Is Septicemia a contraindication to internal fixation in the multiply traumatized patient?,” October 2010
- The #13 most cited first author in, “ Leading 20 at 20: Top Cited Articles and Authors in the Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, 1987-2007” J Orthop Trauma (24):53-58, 2010
- Selected “Top Docs for Kids” in SJ Magazine, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Edward J. Ill, M.D. Award for Excellence in Medicine, 2008
- Selected “Top Doctors” in SJ Magazine, 2008
- “Excellence in Teaching Award,” UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 2007
- “Orthopaedic Surgery Attending of the Year,” as selected by residents at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 2006
- Selected “Top Doctors in Columbus” in Columbus Monthly Magazine, September 1998
- “Retrograde Intramedullary Nailing of Femoral Diaphyseal Fractures,” Ostrum R, DiCicco J, Lakatos R, Poka A. Presented at the 13th Annual Orthopaedic Trauma Association Meeting, Louisville, Kentucky, and selected as one of the ten best papers for presentation at the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Specialty Day
- Edwin G. Bovill Award for Best Paper, “ A Prospective Comparison of Antegrade and Retrograde Femoral Intramedullary Nailing.” Presented at the 14th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association (Vancouver, BC), 1998
(see entire list available at PubMed)
- Cannada LK, Anglen JO, Archdeacon MT, Herscovici D Jr, Ostrum RF. Avoiding complications in the care of fractures of the tibia. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Aug;90 (8):1760-8.
- Russell TA, Leighton RK, Ostrum R. Alpha-BSM Tibial Plateau Fracture Study Group. Comparison of autogenous bone graft and endothermic calcium phosphate cement for defect augmentation in tibial plateau fractures. A multicenter, propective, randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Oct;90 (10):2057-61.
- Cannada LK, Jones TR, , Ostrum RF, et al. Retrograde Intramedullary Nailing of Femoral Diaphyseal Fractures Caused by Low-velocity Gunshots. Orthopedics. 2009 Mar;32(3).
- Ostrum R, Storm S, White K. The epiphyseal scar as a radiographic landmark for retrograde femoral nail insertion. Amer J Orthop XXXVIII, 9: 442-444, 2009.
- Ostrum R, Maurer JP. Distal Third Femur Fractures Treated With Retrograde Femoral Nailing and Blocking Screws. J Orthop Trauma 23 (9) 2009: 681-684.
- Nydick JA, Farrell ED, Marcantonio AJ, Hume EL, Marburger R, Ostrum RF. The use of clopidogrel (Plavix) in patients undergoing nonelective orthopaedic surgery. J Orthop Trauma 2010 Jun;24(6):383-6.
- Mani U, DeJesus D, Ostrum R. Arthroscopically Assisted Removal of Loose Bodies in Acute Acetabular Fractures: A Modified Anterior Technique.. Am J Orthop. 2013;42 (4):186-189.
- Ostrum RF. Orthopaedic Trauma Mythbusters: Intra-articular Fractures. Instr Course Lect. 2013:62:29-33.