Associate Professor of Family Medicine and Orthopaedics
Primary Care Sports Medicine and General Orthopaedics
UNC Family Medicine Center
590 Manning Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 2751
- BS: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
- MBA: Kenan-Flagler School of Business, Chapel Hill, NC
- MD: University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Residency: Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Fellowship (primary care sports medicine): Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
- Primary care sports medicine
- Sports Performance
- Tenex Procedures
- Platelet Rich Plasma Treatments
- EKG Changes in African American Athletes
- Sports Nutrition
- Sports Hernias
- Non operative Treatment of Tibial Stress Fractures
Additionally, Dr. Stafford serves as the current Head Team Physician and Director of Sports Performance at North Carolina Central University.
|2019 – current||Associate Professor (joint appointment), Departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedics, UNC School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC|
|2008 – 2019||Assistant Professor (joint appointment), Departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedics, UNC School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC|
- Thomas E. Matheson Award, Intern of the Year, Duke Family Medicine
- NC AAFP Intern Scholarship, Duke Family Medicine
- Member, North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians; American Medical Society for Sports Medicine; American College of Sports Medicine; American Academy of Family Physicians
- Board Member Special Olympics of North Carolina
- Board Member North Carolina Central University Foundation
- Named to Best Doctors in America List 2019-2020
- Poets and Quants Best and Brightest Award 2019 (Top Executive MBA National Listing)
- Christ Saves Hearts Humanitarian Award 2019 (Community Service Award)
- UNC Black Caucus Pioneer Award 2019
- Department of Athletics WBB Extra Effort Award 2018
- Porras L, Stafford H, Adams N, Promoting Physical Activity, Chronic illness care. 2018 DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-71812-5
- Moorman C, Berkoff D. Infrared thermography; Not a valid method to track core body temperature in exercising athletes. Duke Journal of Orthopedics. July 2017; Volume 7 No 1 p 46-50.
- Stafford H, Boothe J, Felton C. Expanding the Field of Orthobiologics. AMSSM Sports medicine today. Winter 2017. Online article.
- Porras L, Drezner J, Dotson A, Stafford H, Berkoff D, Chung EH; Kunal Agnihotri, MS. Novice interpretation of screening electrocardiograms and impact of online training. J Electrocardiol. 2016 May-Jun;49(3):462-6.
- Berkoff DJ, Sandbulte ZW, Stafford HC, Berkowitz JN. Fibrin glue for olecranon bursitis: a case report.Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2016 Feb;8(1):28-30
- Chung, E. Evans, S Pryski E, Brickner, T, Waicus, K, Stafford, H, Ciocca, M. High Precordial lead ECGS easily induce Brugada-Like patterns in collegiate athletes undergoing preparticpation screening. J Electrocardiol. 2014 Jan-Feb;47(1):1-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jelectrocard.2013.08.014. Epub 2013 Oct 2.
- Stafford H, Boggess B, Toth A. Subtalar Joint Dislocation in a Division I Football Player. British Medical Journal Of Case Reports 2013 Jan 25;2013. pii: bcr0320123973. doi: 10.1136/bcr-03-2012-3973
- Sakr. M, Berkoff D, Stafford H. Storing it within. Clin J Sports Medicine. March 2012; 22(2) 202.
- Sandbulte Z, Stafford H, Berkoff D. Hip pain in a young BB player. Clin J Sports Medicine. March 2012; 22(2) 197-198
- Stafford, H, Sakr, M, Harrison, N, Berkowitz, J, Berkoff, D. Bloody Good Move PRP. Training and Conditioning. Issue 21.08 November 2011.
- Stafford, H, Sandbulte, Z. Platelet-Rich Plasma? Athletic Training and Sports Health Care. Volume 3 No. 4 164-166. July 2011.
- Ciocca, M, Stafford, H, Laney, R. The Athletes Pharmacy, Clinics in Sports Medicine. Elsevier. Volume 30 Number 3, 629-639. July 2011.
- Stafford, H, Boggess, B. 2nd Edition 5 min clinical consult. Chapters on Mandibular Fractures and Deep Venous Thorombosis. Lipincott Williams &Wilkins: Jan 17. 2011.
- Stafford H. Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Issues in Athletics, Cardiac Stress testing. Oxford Sports Medicine Handbook. Oxford University Press. April, 2010. .
- Stafford H, Boggess B. Deep Venous Thrombosis. Essential Orthopedics (Miller et al) 2009
- Berkoff D, Stafford H, Boggess B, Difference in heart rate variability changes over time in concussed versus non-concussed athletes, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine 18(2): 197-198, March 2008 (Abstract)