Note: The internal TPL website is restricted to UNC campus access only and login requires an ONYEN account. Off campus access requires use of VPN to connect to the campus network.
Customers without a UNC Onyen account can contact the TPL Manager by telephone at (919) 843-3409 or email nanan[at]med.unc.edu for additional assistance.
The Translational Pathology Laboratory (TPL) is a core facility in the UNC School of Medicine administered by the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. We offer access to sophisticated digital pathology platforms and study design support to all UNC investigators to enhance translational research.
1. To provide UNC investigators access to annotated formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) human tissues from the UNC Hospitals surgical pathology archive (see useful links below);
2. To acquire UNC Health Care data for retrospective analyses, please contact the Carolina Data Warehouse for Health or the UNC Health Registry/Cancer Survivorship Cohort (HR/CSC);
3. To provide histopathology, tissue microarray (TMA) design and construction, slide staining by limited in-situ hybridization (ISH), immunohistochemistry (IHC) & immunofluorescence (IF), and morphological evaluation services;
4. To provide morphological assay development and training services;
5. To provide samples from archived human FFPE tissues for subsequent purification of molecular analytes (DNA, RNA);
6. To develop digital image analysis technologies for spatial quantification of molecular analytes in intact tissue sections;
7. To develop pathology informatics infrastructure to facilitate integration of data derived from genomics, proteomics, and tissue-based analyses.
The Core provides the only centralized facility on campus to qualitatively and quantitatively analyze fresh, frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin embedded tissues and cell lines using morphology-based assays for DNA, RNA, and proteins.
Facility Director: Nana Feinberg, PhD phone (919) 966-9620 email nanan[at]med.unc.edu
Faculty Director: C. Ryan Miller, MD, PhD phone (919) 966-4333 email rmiller[at]med.unc.edu
Useful Links and Instructions
To find a UNC Pathologist to collaborate with your study, please visit the UNC DPLM website.
Please click here or the Instructions tab at the top of the page for details on how to submit materials to TPL.
TPL is supported by grants from the National Cancer Institute, the North Carolina Biotechnology Center (2015-IDG-1007), and the UNC Center for Environmental Health and Susceptibility.